Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 66

Thread: St. Louis woos NCAA for permanant wrestling home

  1. #19

    Default Re: St. Louis woos NCAA for permanant wrestling home

    Dallas would be good.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011




  2. #20

    Default Re: St. Louis woos NCAA for permanant wrestling home

    I'm quite biased, but the NCAA would be stupid to not look into having it in Indianapolis! I don't know if Conseco can hold 8 mats comfortably, but Indy has hosted other events like the Olympic Trials and numerous NCAA bounceball tournament games.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

    Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

  3. #21

    Default Re: St. Louis woos NCAA for permanant wrestling home

    Indianapolis should be on the list.

    What about Kansas City?
    RIP Jacob Schlottke 1984-2011




  4. #22

    Default Re: St. Louis woos NCAA for permanant wrestling home

    Kansas City was tough - far from hotels and entertainment.

    As a proud native of Chicago, I must say that I don't think it would be a great host for NCAAs. It would be in one of two locations: the Allstate, which is near O'Hare and hotels, but hardly anything else. None of the fun stuff that Chicago offers; or the United Center, which doesn't have anything (save a few crack dealers) close to it. The hotels would have to be the ones downtown, which are expensive and not in walking distance of the arena. Same things for the restaurants and bars. Wait for the Olympics, hopefully we can have you as our guests then.

    I am also all for Indianapolis: plenty of hotels, good transportation, everything is downtown and in walking distance. However, they are always hosting something with March Madness, so they don't want to give that up for wrestling.

  5. #23

    Default Re: St. Louis woos NCAA for permanant wrestling home

    Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    I am also all for Indianapolis: plenty of hotels, good transportation, everything is downtown and in walking distance. However, they are always hosting something with March Madness, so they don't want to give that up for wrestling.
    No reason they can't do both, if they have later rounds for bball. In 2005, St Louis hosted NCAA wrestling and the Final 4 the same year. I remember clearly cause that was Carolina won bball that year and all my friends down here were teasing me about how I went to St Louis 2 weeks too early.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

    "Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

  6. #24

    Default Re: St. Louis woos NCAA for permanant wrestling home

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    No reason they can't do both, if they have later rounds for bball. In 2005, St Louis hosted NCAA wrestling and the Final 4 the same year. I remember clearly cause that was Carolina won bball that year and all my friends down here were teasing me about how I went to St Louis 2 weeks too early.
    I think their other reason, from what the guys at the Sports Commission said, was that you need to have a strong school partner. Now, this was a few years ago that I heard that, but they weren't confident with IU or Purdue.

  7. #25
    Olympic Champ ISU2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    3,305

    Default Re: St. Louis woos NCAA for permanant wrestling home

    I'd love to see it in Des Moines. It's got a new arena, it's in the heart of wrestling country, and it's had 35 years of experience hosting wrestling tournaments. Lots of skywalks, plenty of hotels, lots of cheap or free parking. Unfortunately, they have to remove some of the seats at Wells Fargo to accommodate 8 mats, and there's not a ton to do, and the airport isn't huge. I guess everyone could come to Ames to party every night.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

  8. #26

    Default Re: St. Louis woos NCAA for permanant wrestling home

    Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    I think their other reason, from what the guys at the Sports Commission said, was that you need to have a strong school partner. Now, this was a few years ago that I heard that, but they weren't confident with IU or Purdue.
    Good point. I guess that might rule out Dallas. I'd like to see it come back to the Southeast, if Greensboro doesn't win it, then somewhere like Atlanta, but there wouldn't be a school to act as host further south than in NC.

    Obviously I loved it in Chapel Hill in 1994 but that was right on campus so parking, hotels, etc were a big problem.

    A downside to Greensboro's bid is that there isn't a close downtown area to the arena, as anyone who's come to the Super 32 and the Southern Scuffle knows. But on the upside, the Greensboro people have really been working hard to get top wrestling events there and are willing to put in the extra effort to try to make it happen.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

    "Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

  9. #27

    Default Re: St. Louis woos NCAA for permanant wrestling home

    Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    Kansas City was tough - far from hotels and entertainment.

    As a proud native of Chicago, I must say that I don't think it would be a great host for NCAAs. It would be in one of two locations: the Allstate, which is near O'Hare and hotels, but hardly anything else. None of the fun stuff that Chicago offers; or the United Center, which doesn't have anything (save a few crack dealers) close to it. The hotels would have to be the ones downtown, which are expensive and not in walking distance of the arena. Same things for the restaurants and bars. Wait for the Olympics, hopefully we can have you as our guests then.

    I am also all for Indianapolis: plenty of hotels, good transportation, everything is downtown and in walking distance. However, they are always hosting something with March Madness, so they don't want to give that up for wrestling.
    Kansas City has a brand new arena called the Sprint Center. It is in the middle of downtown with several bars, resturantes and hotels within walking distance. This arena is like no other and would be a great venue for the NCAA Championship...plus close to home for me. We all seem to forget that its all about me!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •