Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 23

Thread: Thank God for this forum

  1. #10
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Thank God for this forum

    TheMat.com=Sherdog of wrestling.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  2. #11

    Default Re: Thank God for this forum

    I've watched Schlatter for 3 years and (other than on video) this is my first year of watching Metcalf. There's no question but that they have different wrestling styles - but - BOTH ARE GREAT WRESTLERS! Wrestling at the edge has become a major factor in college rules. I have seen many college wrestlers let up too soon, relative to the current rules. What I have seen from Metcalf is that he maintains his level of intensity until a second or two after the whistle blows. With his kind of intensity I'm not sure how you expect otherwise.

    As a point of contrast, I saw more than one occassion at DIII Nationals this weekend, where guys would come back to the center of the mat with 10 - 15 seconds left in the period and both guys would just stand there until time ran out. In my favorite kind of wrestling, one - or both - of those guys would have been trying to score befor time ran out.

  3. #12

    Default Re: Thank God for this forum

    Quote Originally Posted by VakAttack View Post
    Metcalf almost always gets a stalling call. His style highlights other people non-attacking. I can't think of a match where he hasn't gotten at least a stalling warning against his opponent.
    Oh, he probably would have picked up the warning with the officials at the ACCs, just not a point.... The 133 finals was a good one, but featured one guy moving backward in a straight line out of bounds several times. Not one warning.

    My favorite is the charity stall warning with 15 seconds left. As if they are really going to bang the guy a second time.

  4. #13

    Default Re: Thank God for this forum

    Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post
    As a point of contrast, I saw more than one occassion at DIII Nationals this weekend, where guys would come back to the center of the mat with 10 - 15 seconds left in the period and both guys would just stand there until time ran out. In my favorite kind of wrestling, one - or both - of those guys would have been trying to score befor time ran out.
    Nothing so demoralizing as to take your opponent down at the end of a period!

  5. #14

    Default Re: Thank God for this forum

    Wrestlingterp - you're one of my favorite guys on both boards. I have a ton of respect for you but I gotta go with Vakattack on this one. When you have someone close to you die, especially at such a young age, it affects you tremendously. 3 months can seem like 3 hours, when you think of the last time the person was alive and the shock you felt when they died.
    It took me a lot more than 3 months to get over my sister dying, I can tell you that. To be quiet honest, I still dont' know if I'm "over it" over it. It's something time I suppose heals, but doesn't let you forget.
    As anyone who has been hurt will tell you, wounds heal, but scars often remain.
    "Within all of us there burns a passion of fire. Forever feel the heat from the flames of your desire"

  6. #15
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Thank God for this forum

    Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingTerp View Post
    Oh, he probably would have picked up the warning with the officials at the ACCs, just not a point.... The 133 finals was a good one, but featured one guy moving backward in a straight line out of bounds several times. Not one warning.

    My favorite is the charity stall warning with 15 seconds left. As if they are really going to bang the guy a second time.
    That is pretty funny. The "Well, time's running down, this guys been running for awhile, here's your reward: a stalling warning!"
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  7. #16

    Default Re: Thank God for this forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythompsonnum1 View Post
    Wrestlingterp - you're one of my favorite guys on both boards. I have a ton of respect for you but I gotta go with Vakattack on this one. When you have someone close to you die, especially at such a young age, it affects you tremendously. 3 months can seem like 3 hours, when you think of the last time the person was alive and the shock you felt when they died.
    It took me a lot more than 3 months to get over my sister dying, I can tell you that. To be quiet honest, I still dont' know if I'm "over it" over it. It's something time I suppose heals, but doesn't let you forget.
    As anyone who has been hurt will tell you, wounds heal, but scars often remain.
    Thanks for the love man!!!

    Hey, I know better than most. Lost my mother when I was 9 to cancer, my father when I was 30 to cancer, and my step-mother a couple of years ago to terrible dementia. And you are correct, you never get over it.

    Consider Gable's story. That is about as horrible as it can get for a family. But he channeled that hurt and it was probably one of the main things that drove him. He didn't need to take a swing at other wrestlers, he pretty much physically but legally beat them on the mat.

    But, I'm approaching old fart age now where you go to more funerals than weddings....
    Last edited by WrestlingTerp; 03-11-2008 at 05:42 AM.

  8. #17

    Default Re: Thank God for this forum

    Quote Originally Posted by VakAttack View Post
    That is pretty funny. The "Well, time's running down, this guys been running for awhile, here's your reward: a stalling warning!"
    And that is the problem. In the Metcalf match the stalling point forced Schlatter to move forward and allowed Metcalf a chance to get a good shot. It didn't decide the match, it made the wrestlers decide it. Actually that is one of my favorite stalling calls, the one that ties the bout like that. If they can't score they can figure it out in overtime.

  9. #18
    Administrator Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    5,188

    Default Re: Thank God for this forum

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I thought the shots out of bounds/after the whistle were a little ticky tack, but thats probably just because I'm a Schlatter guy. Metcalf people probably call it wrestling "intensely" and maybe they're right. I didn't have a problem with the forearm really.
    I agree completely... The out of bounds shots and then the double leg after the whistle when Schlatter was standing straight up and moving back to the circle were pretty questionable. Nothing wrong at all with the forearm in the back of the neck for the last 10 seconds...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •