View Poll Results: Who takes over at ISU

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Bono

    15 23.81%
  • Joe Heskett

    11 17.46%
  • Cody Sanderson

    2 3.17%
  • Kevin Jackson

    7 11.11%
  • Other Top Head coach

    13 20.63%
  • Other Top Assistant From another program

    15 23.81%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 45 of 75

Thread: Who takes over at Iowa State?

  1. #37

    Default Re: Who takes over at Iowa State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    Chertow!

    Too far from his camps!

  2. #38

    Default Re: Who takes over at Iowa State?

    I am willing to bet it will be Terry Brands. I have no inside information but ISU is probably the only place he would be willing to go.

  3. #39
    Olympic Champ RYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,376

    Default Re: Who takes over at Iowa State?

    Check out the last sentence.

    April 17. 2009 9:16PM
    Sanderson: ?Deal wasn?t about money?
    By Eric Petersen
    For The Gazette


    AMES ? Winning has always come first with Cael Sanderson.

    And that, not a massive bump in salary, he said, is at the heart of why the Iowa State coach and wrestling legend is giving up his lofty perch here for potential Penn State promises.

    Still seemingly conflicted by leaving the Cyclone program three years after he took it over, Sanderson spoke openly Friday a few steps outside the room where he?s spent much of the last 12 years of his life.

    Sanderson wrestled with this decision, that much is clear.

    ?I didn?t really have a wrong answer,? he said. ?I could stay here where I love Iowa State. This is the place I wanted to win at. It is home. The potential and possibilities of Penn State, it is the highest regarded institution of sports in the East, maybe the country. It?s tough to turn down.?

    Sanderson said reports of a salary in the $500,000 range are untrue. He made just more than $130,000 a year at ISU.

    ?The deal wasn?t about money, just about a better opportunity,? Sanderson said. ?Time will tell whether or not that?s true.?

    Sanderson broke the news to his team Friday afternoon.

    The Cyclones finished third at March?s NCAA Championships and return all but one starter from the team that was the only one to qualify all 10 wrestlers for nationals.

    ?They are great friends of mine,? Sanderson said. ?We?ve been through a lot together. I expect these guys to win nationals next year.?

    Fans and supporters of the program may be angered with Sanderson?s decision, particularly after football coach Gene Chizik bolted for Auburn in December after just two seasons.

    Sanderson is leaving ISU in a similar fashion.

    ?They, rightfully so, should be upset,? he said. ?I don?t really have an answer for them other than, ?I?m sorry.? I feel like this is the best move for me and my family. ... Leaving is a tough thing. I think it?s tougher on me than any of our fans. Nobody cares about Iowa State wrestling more than I do.?

    Sanderson went 159-0 and won four national championships at ISU from 1998 through 2002. He won gold at the 2004 Olympics in Athens and moved up from assistant coach to head coach at Iowa State in 2006, replacing Bobby Douglas.

    In three years, Sanderson?s teams went 44-10, won three Big 12 Conference championships, qualified all 30 of his starting wrestlers for nationals, and earned 15 All-America awards and two individual national titles.

    After some difficult deliberations, Sanderson decided early Friday morning to accept PSU?s offer and start a life on the East Coast.

    ?I?d never really considered taking another job,? he said. ?I never expected this. ... The potential of the program, the resources there are unbelievable.?

    The Nittany Lions? recruiting base was a huge selling point. States like Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey and New York are talent-rich.

    ?There?s no place in the country like it,? he said.

    Sanderson said his older brother, Cody, ISU?s lead assistant, will join him on staff. More coaches, recruits and current wrestlers could follow, though many of the athletes ? younger brother, Cyler included ? will have only one season of eligibility.

    ?That?s a question I can?t really answer,? Sanderson said. ?That?s going to be up to them, but I don?t know whether or not that opportunity will be available to them.?

    Penn State finished 17th at this year?s NCAA meet.

    ISU was second in Sanderson?s first season and should be among the nation?s best again next season with All-Americans Jake Varner, Nick Gallick, Jon Reader, David Zabriskie and Nick Fanthorpe returning.

    ISU Athletics Director Jamie Pollard said a national search for Sanderson?s successor is under way.

    ?You can get it done here,? Sanderson said. ?I haven?t quite been able to do that yet. I believe we are right on the edge and that makes it even more difficult to leave.

    ?It feels like it is the right thing to do, but only time will tell. I haven?t signed my (contract) papers yet.?
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

  4. #40

    Default Re: Who takes over at Iowa State?

    Terry. Terry. Terry.
    Can you imagine what that ISU/Iowa dual would be like? It'd be to the DEATH in every match. It'd be a sellout every time. I'd do the drive to see it!
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

  5. #41

    Default Re: Who takes over at Iowa State?

    Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post
    I like the Heskett choice - class young man and success as an athlete at ISU. I suspect that, however, until Pollard is gone as AD no incoming wrestling coach will have much chance at success.

    Help me understand what this means. Pollard has raised more money for ISU athletics than any other AD. I think ISU wrestling will bring some very good names to the table, being second fiddle and all. Terry would bring a lot to the rivalry. Don't see it happening though. I like Mark Schwab but wonder if he is a big enough name. He's a great motivator and the toughest out there. I know he was looking for a bigger city to live in, but heard he was biding his time for the job at UNI. That will have to wait so maybe this could suffice. I hope the wrestlers stay, but have my doubts.
    A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. A straw man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is, it may succeed in persuading people) but it carries little or no real evidential weight, because the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.

  6. #42
    World Champ
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: Who takes over at Iowa State?

    Will ISU let the wrestlers go without a penalty, or will it do what V Tech did a few years ago?

  7. #43

    Default Re: Who takes over at Iowa State?

    Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    Will ISU let the wrestlers go without a penalty, or will it do what V Tech did a few years ago?
    I would hope they let them go. I think its wrong to penalize wrestlers for wanting to follow the coach who recruited them, but what do i know?
    A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. A straw man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is, it may succeed in persuading people) but it carries little or no real evidential weight, because the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.

  8. #44
    Olympic Champ RYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,376

    Default Re: Who takes over at Iowa State?

    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieJ2 View Post
    Terry. Terry. Terry.
    Can you imagine what that ISU/Iowa dual would be like? It'd be to the DEATH in every match. It'd be a sellout every time. I'd do the drive to see it!
    Idon't hink you'll see Terry. On the surface, it would that it split the talent pool between to two teams. While they would be quite evenly matched, it being parity to the programs and harm either effort to win a national championship.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

  9. #45

    Default Re: Who takes over at Iowa State?

    Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Idon't hink you'll see Terry. On the surface, it would that it split the talent pool between to two teams. While they would be quite evenly matched, it being parity to the programs and harm either effort to win a national championship.
    You're such a Buzzkill, Ryou. Just try to think of how crazy fun it would be.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •