If anybody wants match by match break downs let me know but I have some general observations from yesterday's action.
1) CP Schlatter showed more offense today than I think I've seen in the last four years. he was very solid and extremely dominant on his feet as well as on the mat. I was really impressed and it was nice to see him wrestle like we all knew he could.
2) Bronson was a nice surprise. I was praying they would send Kuhlman out, or possibly pull Mike Thorn out of redshirt, after the NIU dual. Bronson has really improved and matured over the last few seasons and I didn't recognize him at first. I think Eidenschenk or possibly Yohn is the future here, but it was nice to see someone not get pinned seemingly at random.
3) Northern Illinois is really bad. I mean it makes me almost embarassed to be from IL and have gone to their camps when I was in Highschool. I'm a bandwagon jumper at times, and I think ND State will be a good rival in the future, but NIU handed a dual victory to an outmatched (underwieght as well apparently) Bison squad.
4) Mack Reiter has a lot of rust to work off, but I think he'll be fine. He's still got some spark, but there are a lot of cobwebs to beat out. Is it just me, or does he seem really short too?
5) I can't wait to see the rematch between Glasser and Reader. I was really impressed with him, solid on his feet and a terror with the arm bars. Safratoich (sic, its late) was great last year (and this year) but Glasser is an upgrade, which is a good problem for the Gophers to have.
6) Kish, was, well Kish. It says a lot about Herbert and Varner, especially, that he lost to them. I'm anxious for the rematch and I think that if Kish opens up, he can give Varner all he wants. That being said, I've heard him described as a bully with little technique (guess where that came from). I personally think there are few on the Gophers, who matches him with quickness and ability. At times he does come across as almost over aggressive though...especially on the edge of the mat. oh well, it ain't no tennis match, dude.
7) Did Nord just have a really bad day?
8) It was great seeing the blow outs. If they wrestle like they did today, putting on a show almost, They'll be tough to beat. They deffinitley have the horses to run away on most teams out there and I think they match up really well with any of the other "national" powers. The toss ups are always going to be 197 and HWT, but before that, I'll take the gophers first 8 over anybody. It gives a new meaning to murder's row.
9) If anybody needs a 174 lber in their fantasy league, take a serious look at Duke Burke form NIU. One of the two bright spots on a shakey NIU team.
10) I like Gabe Mooney from ND State.