Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 20

Thread: So much for Pico

  1. #1
    NCAA Champ BlueBloodLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The same planet as you
    Posts
    1,032

    Default So much for Pico

    I remember a thread a while ago asking if we would take Chance or Pico. Chance was more proven (entering senior year), but if possible, Pico seemed better at the same early point in his career. I tried doing a search for the thread, but the search function seems to be down.

    Anyway, I had completely missed Pico's announcement to give up his HS and college eligibility and sign with an agency. Given that info, I'll take Chance...

    I didn't see any info on Pico's announcement here or on the HS group, so here is an article about it.

    http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/...restling-world

    The only thing that pissed me off was the comment about not being able to pick a major because it is too hard. Matt Brown is holding a 3.9+, he is in the ROTC program, and he is married. Oh, and he seems to be wrestling pretty well - and no one on earth was saying he came in with as much talent as Pico would have.
    Last edited by BlueBloodLion; 01-30-2014 at 10:32 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: So much for Pico

    I read another another article about his decision. Apparently he is just as good of a boxer as he is a wrestler. I forget where I found the article but the kid is impressive.

  3. #3

    Default Re: So much for Pico

    That's a bummer. I'm not a huge fan of MMA, but I still love boxing. Hopefully he finds big success, otherwise he'll be regretting the decision.

  4. #4
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: So much for Pico

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    ....
    The only thing that pissed me off was the comment about not being able to pick a major because it is too hard. Matt Brown is holding a 3.9+, he is in the ROTC program, and he is married. Oh, and he seems to be wrestling pretty well - and no one on earth was saying he came in with as much talent as Pico would have.
    For many people the grind of the NCAA season and traveling would limit their major. Maybe Pico does not have the academic talent Matt Brown does.
    However, I suspect that they are just giving lip service to the academics and the real reason for leaving amateur wrestling is to focus on Freestyle and make some money from MMA sponsors. I don't have issues with either of those.

  5. #5
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: So much for Pico

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I read another another article about his decision. Apparently he is just as good of a boxer as he is a wrestler. I forget where I found the article but the kid is impressive.
    I have read similar things about he boxing skills, nut I think that is mostly potential because I don't think he has won any World Championships in boxing or is being considered among the best ever in HS boxing.

  6. #6

    Default Re: So much for Pico

    I hate it when these guys don't focus on college first.

  7. #7
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: So much for Pico

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Cutter View Post
    I hate it when these guys don't focus on college first.
    Why should he? He has a ten year plan of where he plans to be and NCAA wrestling will not help him get there.
    If you believe that he should be focus on academics, NCAA wrestling does not help that either.

    If you are disappointed as a college wrestling fan, I undestand.

  8. #8

    Default Re: So much for Pico

    Foley's mailbag on Intermat today talks a bit about Pico and his Russian coach. He talks about the whole different relationship of eastern wrestlers and their coach, compared to how it works here in America where you are passed on from one coach in HS to another in college to another potentially for freestyle not to mention others along the way. In the east you tend to stay with one coach throughout your career. It sounds like Pico is buying into the eastern approach. It least that's how it sounded in Foleys article.

  9. #9

    Default Re: So much for Pico

    Yes, as a fan. International wrestling is never on tv. Except for an hour or two of Olympic coverage every 4 years that boy will dissappear from the average fans view. I might as well forget he ever existed. How many great U.S. Olypians didn't wrestle in college? It must have some benefit. I think some coach is filling his head with a bunch of baloney to take his father's cash!


    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Why should he? He has a ten year plan of where he plans to be and NCAA wrestling will not help him get there.
    If you believe that he should be focus on academics, NCAA wrestling does not help that either.

    If you are disappointed as a college wrestling fan, I undestand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •