Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 10

Thread: Hey Gophers its time to start wrestling

  1. #1

    Default Hey Gophers its time to start wrestling

    I watched 7.5 matches last night. Ness and Reiter didn't look like their were ready. Dustin is Dustin. Kish... Maybe the rankings are right. Herbert didn't even ride him out for a whole period. Varner wins round one. J Robinson are you pacing them to peak in March? I'm a big Minny fan but I was dispointed with the performance. Not the losts, but efforts. Its early.
    Hats off the boys from Hofstra and Poeta.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hey Gophers its time to wrestling

    Robbee, look at your thread title and edit if possible, I had to read it three times to figure out what the title was "trying" to say.

    I think the only disappointing match to me was Reiter because I know he is a better wrestler than that. It was a close match score wise until the very end but you just got the feeling early that he wasn't going to get back into the match after the first takedown...he looked sluggish and tired. It could have been the ankle but I doubt it.

    Ness was wrestling a very good appointment (National Champion?) and stayed in the fight until Donahoe and he got into the almost stalemate position. From there it was just a scramble. Ness is going to have no problem making weight this year where I think it will be more difficult for Donahoe as the year goes on. I think Ness will keep getting better relative to the field and will be ready to make his run at the end.

    Kish just isn't ready for these matches this early in the season as evidenced by his match with Herbert last year and again with Varner but he will be fine as well come NCAA's. Hell, if you told me now that these four matches were going to take place again at Nationals I would be happy because I would assume that they would be late in the tourney and be for high AA places or for a National Championship.

    With C.P., Rivera, Glasser and Dretsch to get us additional points, we would be in good shape.

    Then again, my glasses have always been maroon-colored.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

  3. #3

    Default Re: Hey Gophers its time to start wrestling

    Is that better? I could have changed it to wrestle but, start works just as well. It was driving me crazy as well.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton




  4. #4
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Hey Gophers its time to wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post

    Kish just isn't ready for these matches this early in the season as evidenced by his match with Herbert last year
    Sorry, but Kish wasn't ready for Herbert at any point last year

  5. #5

    Default Re: Hey Gophers its time to start wrestling

    Personally, I think Reiter was very, very rusty after being injured last season. I don't think that the injury will effect him thoroughout the year as much as his style will. He tends to wrestle the classic "Iowa" pressure, attack, pressure, attack for 20 minutes strategy. I think the caliber of wrestlers he will see in the upper eschelon at 133 makes that style difficult to be dominant with.

    Also, I've said this about 100 times, but I was really impressed with Ruggirello. That kid was hardnosed to the core and an absolute leach on top. never did I think I would see Mack get ridden like that.

    its early yet in the season and I honestly think this will be a good wake up call for the #1 ranked recruiting class of '03. They've enjoyed a lot of success up til this point and this might be the fire they need to come out and dominate the way they can. I'm looking forward to watching them in action this Saturday.

    Mike

  6. #6

    Default Re: Hey Gophers its time to start wrestling

    not to mention that I don't think J. Rob liked seeing his premier wrestlers outconditioned on such a big stage...I want to know what kind of extra practices these guys were being put through to prepare for the All-Star classic?

    in the match versus Herbert early, I have no problem admitting that Herbert is the better wrestler but Kish was in really poor condition for that match as well...he was sucking wind at the end of the 1st period...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

  7. #7

    Default Re: Hey Gophers its time to start wrestling

    I think if all four Minny wrestlers had been pinned, many posters would have found a way to look on the bright side. Something like "Hey, at least they lost early in the year - now they'll work harder to be better at the end of the year", or "He really looked good until he got stuck".

  8. #8

    Default Re: Hey Gophers its time to start wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I think if all four Minny wrestlers had been pinned, many posters would have found a way to look on the bright side. Something like "Hey, at least they lost early in the year - now they'll work harder to be better at the end of the year", or "He really looked good until he got stuck".
    I think you're right, but...I don't think thats fair to single out gopher fans in particular. that would be the case all around and it happend with the Cowboys a few years ago.

    A point about Gopher fans from Minnesota however...at least people from the Cities... We love to trash our teams when they screw up. it hapens with the vikings, twins, t-wolves etc. I'm originally from Chicago, so Im used to people being fickle, but MN in particular astounds me with the bandwagon that goes by on a daily basis depending upon performance.

    I'm not suggesting that MN sprots fans are objective, no sports fan is, its just that we love to hate and have been conditioned to expect roller coaster performances. The gopher wrestling team has been somewhat of an annomaly in the fact that they have performed well consistantly and that is a credit to J and Marty on the recruiting trail.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Hey Gophers its time to start wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by architeuthis View Post
    I think you're right, but...I don't think thats fair to single out gopher fans in particular. that would be the case all around and it happend with the Cowboys a few years ago.

    A point about Gopher fans from Minnesota however...at least people from the Cities... We love to trash our teams when they screw up. it hapens with the vikings, twins, t-wolves etc. I'm originally from Chicago, so Im used to people being fickle, but MN in particular astounds me with the bandwagon that goes by on a daily basis depending upon performance.

    I'm not suggesting that MN sprots fans are objective, no sports fan is, its just that we love to hate and have been conditioned to expect roller coaster performances. The gopher wrestling team has been somewhat of an annomaly in the fact that they have performed well consistantly and that is a credit to J and Marty on the recruiting trail.
    Maybe my expectations are to Hi!!!! I just did not see Minnesota or OSU wrestlings that were ready!

    As for trashing the Minnesota Teams.... That would be to easy. Believe or not I love my Gophers.... even the football team. It was a painful season.
    Rose Bowl 2011. Naaah. Maybe a winning season.

    The wrestling team will be alright. 197 and HWT are the big question marks.

    I agree with you about the recruiting.... Stud after stud keep coming in.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •