Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 54 of 82

Thread: Alan Waters new #1 at 125!

  1. #46

    Default Re: Alan Waters new #1 at 125!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    BB, you were most definitely NOT the only one calling HOwe over Burroughs. Lots of people on that side of the debate. Like vais, though, I was on the wrong side of it.
    No, as I said, I was the only one calling BURROUGHS, and man, did I take heat for it, even AFTER he won!
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  2. #47

    Default Re: Alan Waters new #1 at 125!

    Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    As far as no defense for quickness, I disagree
    Except for when the punches (or takedowns) are coming at you; I've never found a way to stop either. Tyson wasn't punching him at the time of the knockout.

    I also think that we learned for the first time in that fight that Tyson had a glass jaw, almost like no other.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  3. #48

    Default Re: Alan Waters new #1 at 125!

    I remember specifically arguing with lost about this. He was JB all the way. My main arguments were that JB was a guy who relied on explosiveness and was coming off of knee surgery(which, contrary to what I expected seemed to give him improved explosion). Also, he had struggled with strong hand fighters(metcalf, chandler) historically and te 157 bracket he smashed didnt really have any elite guys who focused on hand fighting as their offense. It made sense at the time....
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  4. #49

    Default Re: Alan Waters new #1 at 125!

    I don't think you were the only one picking Burroughs. I did a quick search before the site crashed on me (again) and there were people (including me) who were giving Burroughs the nod.

  5. #50
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Alan Waters new #1 at 125!

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    No, as I said, I was the only one calling BURROUGHS, and man, did I take heat for it, even AFTER he won!
    I miswrote, I meant that you weren't the only one calling for Burroughs over Howe. I was on the wrong side of that debate, but there were several people, yourself included apparently, who called for BUrroughs to win.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  6. #51

    Default Re: Alan Waters new #1 at 125!

    Quote Originally Posted by FalconWrestlingKY View Post
    My favorite wrestler to watch at 125 is Delgado, but even with his latest results I would be hard pressed to go against McD at NCAA's. McD just has the sort of mindset most wrestlers can only dream of.
    Having been at the match Saturday night, you may rethink that comment about McD's mindset. Waters hit the early takedown and with the amount of riding time he accrued, there was no doubt about who was superior on the mat. Several of us were noting the "deer in headlights" look on McD's face all the way through HWT. I'm not foolish enough to count him out or doubt he will come back stronger, but that kids world got rocked on Saturday and it's the first time in a long time he's been worked like that multiple times.

    Also, whomever referenced that Delgado wins the toss-up vs. Waters based on speed alone.......Waters is a pretty fast SOB! I remember catching some of his matches last season and admiring his ability as I believe he was a True Frosh. He's put on muscle and is exceptionally quick.....McD can attest given how the TD happened.

  7. #52

    Default Re: Alan Waters new #1 at 125!

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherfanbackinMN View Post
    Having been at the match Saturday night, you may rethink that comment about McD's mindset. Waters hit the early takedown and with the amount of riding time he accrued, there was no doubt about who was superior on the mat. Several of us were noting the "deer in headlights" look on McD's face all the way through HWT. I'm not foolish enough to count him out or doubt he will come back stronger, but that kids world got rocked on Saturday and it's the first time in a long time he's been worked like that multiple times.

    Also, whomever referenced that Delgado wins the toss-up vs. Waters based on speed alone.......Waters is a pretty fast SOB! I remember catching some of his matches last season and admiring his ability as I believe he was a True Frosh. He's put on muscle and is exceptionally quick.....McD can attest given how the TD happened.
    Yes, but Waters' quickness doesn't negate Delgado's and the difficulty that Waters will have in reacting to it.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  8. #53
    NCAA Champ BlueBloodLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The same planet as you
    Posts
    1,016

    Default Re: Alan Waters new #1 at 125!

    Ok, so let's get Waters as the 1 seed wrestling Delgado at 4 in the All-Speed Semi Final. Then we can have McD and Mega as 2/3 (I don't care which is which, B10s will sort it out) in the M&M Semi Final.

    In the final we'll get to see if athletic speed wins over experience at being in the finals.

  9. #54

    Default Re: Alan Waters new #1 at 125!

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    Ok, so let's get Waters as the 1 seed wrestling Delgado at 4 in the All-Speed Semi Final. Then we can have McD and Mega as 2/3 (I don't care which is which, B10s will sort it out) in the M&M Semi Final.

    In the final we'll get to see if athletic speed wins over experience at being in the finals.
    And also with the understanding that I didn't say that quickness alone will win matches, but it's sure an advantage and even tougher to defend.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •