Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Results 55 to 62 of 62

Thread: ISU wrestle offs

  1. #55

    Default Re: ISU wrestle offs

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    All well and good, but I wrote this while you were replying to this thread: "First question, I guess that they are needed for recruiting, motivating, organizing, etc, but once those wrestlers hit the mat, it's largely out of that coach's hands."
    and nothing that the coach does outside of the actual competition itself means jack squat. It's not the actual dual/tournament performance where the coach does his job. That's not where the "work" is done.

    Having said that, I've never heard anything out of KJ's mouth at a wrestling meet besides..."Wrestle Here!"

    He really needs to go Ban, but just like you did with Penrith, you will go down with the ship. Cael set it up so the cupboards would be bare one season after his departure. However, KJ hasn't recruited anyone, that has actually came and stayed. And he hasn't coached any of them up to the point of relevance. He's got a good one in Meeks as a freshman this year but all signs point to him throwing him out there right now, even though he needs a lot of work on his mat wrestling skills to be a contender. He's making decision based on saving his job. When you start to do that, your days are numbered.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  2. #56

    Default Re: ISU wrestle offs

    I was impressed with Tanner Weatherman at Midlands last year, he'll be a good one. Lower weights seem promising, especially with Nickerson there now. ISU should make some strides this season - not a world beater of course but better...

  3. #57

    Default Re: ISU wrestle offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    I was impressed with Tanner Weatherman at Midlands last year, he'll be a good one. Lower weights seem promising, especially with Nickerson there now. ISU should make some strides this season - not a world beater of course but better...
    Amen! Why? A better TEAM than they were last year, yet they still have the same coach.

    Yet another big mystery solved.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  4. #58

    Default Re: ISU wrestle offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    and nothing that the coach does outside of the actual competition itself means jack squat. It's not the actual dual/tournament performance where the coach does his job. That's not where the "work" is done.

    Having said that, I've never heard anything out of KJ's mouth at a wrestling meet besides..."Wrestle Here!"

    He really needs to go Ban, but just like you did with Penrith, you will go down with the ship. Cael set it up so the cupboards would be bare one season after his departure. However, KJ hasn't recruited anyone, that has actually came and stayed. And he hasn't coached any of them up to the point of relevance. He's got a good one in Meeks as a freshman this year but all signs point to him throwing him out there right now, even though he needs a lot of work on his mat wrestling skills to be a contender. He's making decision based on saving his job. When you start to do that, your days are numbered.
    I'm not really "going down with the ship," as I'm not anywhere near the ISU fan that I am a UNI fan. However, I will ALWAYS "go down with the ship" when it comes to arguing that coaches don't wrestle matches, wrestlers do.

    It's all the more ridiculous when you consider that Jackson has only been there three seasons, with one of those seasons actually being a great season. Can we get anymore impatient and ridiculous than THAT?!
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  5. #59

    Default Re: ISU wrestle offs

    Like it or not, or believe in it or not coaches get both way too much blame and probably way too much praise for success or failure in the culture of "sports" in general. Ive read through the posts, and I am in the majority thinking that KJ needs to go, but for anyone on the KJ wagon what makes you believe that he is the guy for the job? It cannot be results, recruiting, or anything objective, so what exactly is it? I would love to be able to somehow blame this on the State Penn head coach for leaving the cupboard bare, but I just dont see it anymore, and the time since he left isnt an excuse anymore.

    And, how many more years do you give KJ then? What if a prospect like Perry would come available or Terry Brands. Do you stick with KJ? I would bet that Pollard is looking at this years results, and if they arent any better I would bet you see another head coach at ISU next year.

  6. #60

    Default Re: ISU wrestle offs

    I am still behind KJ.
    For 1, many of our starters last year were redshirt freshman and wrestling probably one of the toughest schedules in the nation. I think that some got beat up mentally.
    2. I think that Yero was not the best light weight coach and we now have Nickerson.
    3. I don't think our S&C was perfect, now we have a dedicated weight room and a S&C coach in Coach Beau.
    4. I don't think there was enough competition at some weight, so improvement was lacking.
    5. I think some was bad luck - Sorenson rolling an ankle at National - (If this doesn't happen, I think he would be an AA and eliminate one big negative)

    I also believe we need to see improvement and development this year. I hope we do and KJ gets a contract extension and we can keep this staff on hand. I believe all the negative posts from people that "think" they know what is happening in the Iowa State program is hurting recruiting.

  7. #61

    Default Re: ISU wrestle offs

    LOL at the posts hurting recruiting. If the recruits would see results on the mat, they would come to ISU. BTW, Henry Cejudo's nephew just verbally to ISU. Hope he shows up.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  8. #62

    Default Re: ISU wrestle offs

    Quote Originally Posted by dback_5 View Post
    Like it or not, or believe in it or not coaches get both way too much blame and probably way too much praise for success or failure in the culture of "sports" in general. Ive read through the posts, and I am in the majority thinking that KJ needs to go, but for anyone on the KJ wagon what makes you believe that he is the guy for the job? It cannot be results, recruiting, or anything objective, so what exactly is it? I would love to be able to somehow blame this on the State Penn head coach for leaving the cupboard bare, but I just dont see it anymore, and the time since he left isnt an excuse anymore.

    And, how many more years do you give KJ then? What if a prospect like Perry would come available or Terry Brands. Do you stick with KJ? I would bet that Pollard is looking at this years results, and if they arent any better I would bet you see another head coach at ISU next year.
    And I will call your post a very reasonable post. Yes, they likely will seek to make changes at some point, but this season still has to play out.

    Your opening sentence reminds me of something a local sports radio talk show host always says, "When the team is doing well, it's ALL because of the players and the team. When the team is doing poorly, it's ALL because of the coach(es)."
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •