Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast
Results 91 to 99 of 122

Thread: Breakthrough Guy for next year

  1. #91

    Default Re: Breakthrough Guy for next year

    I am going with a guy that nobody is talking about and saying that he pushes for AA contention this year. Nick Hodgkins, who wrestles for Central Michigan and is coming off a redshirt year in which he went 22-6 is going to have a real nice season. Everyone is in love with Alex Dieringer but checkout Hodgkins taking it to him at the dapper dan two years back. 145 lbs match Nick Hodgkins PA vs. Alex Dieringer USA | 2011 Dapper Dan Wrestling Classic | Flowrestling | Flowrestling

  2. #92
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Breakthrough Guy for next year

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Without question Lance was better on top. Debatably he was better from bottom.
    Metcalf rode Palmer more than Palmer rode him, and I'd wager you'd find Metcalf had more falls and backpoints in his career. Just because top was Palmer's best position doesn't mean he was better than Metcalf.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  3. #93

    Default Re: Breakthrough Guy for next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Metcalf rode Palmer more than Palmer rode him, and I'd wager you'd find Metcalf had more falls and backpoints in his career. Just because top was Palmer's best position doesn't mean he was better than Metcalf.
    Youre wrong here. Falls and bps arent the only measure. Dake is amazing on top, but im sure there are guys with more falls/bps
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  4. #94

    Default Re: Breakthrough Guy for next year

    Metcalf rode him more because he had more TDs. Tough to ride a guy when a) you struggle to take him down and b) he takes neutral instead of bottom.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  5. #95
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Breakthrough Guy for next year

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Metcalf rode him more because he had more TDs. Tough to ride a guy when a) you struggle to take him down and b) he takes neutral instead of bottom.
    Metcalf took neutral against Palmer exactly one time in their career series that I can find, the NCAA Finals. Every other time he took bottom, and Palmer was never able to ride him, except for the Big 10 Finals that Palmer won, where he finally put a good ride on him. Metcalf, meanwhile, rode Palmer tough in all of their matches, getting the RT point more often than not, though I can't swear if he got it every time.

    Now, you've disallowed using backpoints and pins as evidence of being better on top because Kyle Dake doesn't do a lot of that, and obviously that is the sole standard of good top wrestling in the history of wrestling. What about riding time? Is that not good? Is the sole arbiter of good top wrestling you?

    Metcalf put up a ton of back points and falls, and excluding Frank Molinaro, it's not like Brent was known for tossing a bunch of people from feet to back. He took them down, then turned them, while also getting a riding time point. I'm not sure what more you could ask for from a top wrestler. Metcalf scored more from top, he was capable of riding people that Palmer struggled to ride, like Ruschell, and rode Palmer more than Palmer rode him, even though I've shown you that the opportunities were relatively equal.

    So, to recap, my evidence is that Metcalf scored more from top, rode Palmer more than Palmer rode Metcalf, pinned more people, got more RT points, and rode people that Palmer struggled to ride. Your evidence is that you say so and Kyle Dake doesn't turn a lot of people. Good talk.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  6. #96

    Default Re: Breakthrough Guy for next year

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I should have provided my Cynicism Alert at the beginning of this post, but I'll also bet you he doesn't stay long at Missouri.

    Not sure why anyone would think otherwise.
    Oh i knew your jest, but i was just pointing out his last two moves were not his doing and i believe he was still training in most if not all of his other positions. I think he could really help Waters, Toal and one of Jensens favorites Haynes. Maybe not a breakthrough but the 150 lb. Bull could be the difference for the 285 lb. Dominator.

  7. #97

    Default Re: Breakthrough Guy for next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    What position was Lance Palmer better than Metcalf? None. And Metcalf's gap over Palmer was bigger than Stieber's gap over Ramos. Not saying Ramos will definitely beat him, but being the better wrestler doesn't always guarantee a victory, and definitely not when you've seen a guy make massive improvements like Ramos has.
    I do hope you're not assuming that Logan is not making improvements. He is one of the most focused wrestlers I've seen in a long time. I think his continual improvement will keep him in front of Ramos. In fact I'm sensing some sort of wager brewing.

  8. #98
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Breakthrough Guy for next year

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I do hope you're not assuming that Logan is not making improvements. He is one of the most focused wrestlers I've seen in a long time. I think his continual improvement will keep him in front of Ramos. In fact I'm sensing some sort of wager brewing.
    I'm not saying he can't or won't. I'm just saying that the fact that Logan is better doesn't guarantee him victory in any particular match, and especially the fact that he was better than him the previous season. Logan is a rightful favorite going into any match with Ramos, just like Metcalf was with Palmer. My one and only point was that, yes, Steiber is better than Ramos as of last season, but it isn't a guarantee of a win next season.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  9. #99

    Default Re: Breakthrough Guy for next year

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    I'm not saying he can't or won't. I'm just saying that the fact that Logan is better doesn't guarantee him victory in any particular match, and especially the fact that he was better than him the previous season. Logan is a rightful favorite going into any match with Ramos, just like Metcalf was with Palmer. My one and only point was that, yes, Steiber is better than Ramos as of last season, but it isn't a guarantee of a win next season.
    I agree that it isn't a guarantee but as much as those two seem to dislike each other, I don't see Stieber losing focus against him. It will make for another fun season though.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •