USNA Answers the TWT All-American Questions
1) What was the biggest strength for your team at this year's NCAA wrestling tournament?
The strength of the EIWA gave us the preparation to compete against the best in the nation. It also helped us to have returning qualifier/AA's to help our first timers adjust to the big show. Our schedule throughout the year helps us see national competitors and understand the level we need to be at.
2) What was the biggest weakness/struggle your team had leading up to the tournament?
Injuries, no question. Everyone has them and some years are tougher than others. You lose a lot of momentum when several of your key starters are out for several weeks or months.
3) How will your performance at this year's National tournament effect your recruiting?
Having 2 All-Americans, 5 National qualifiers and placing in the top 25 as a team helps our recognition on the national level. It shows our recruits that we develop the best both on the mat as well as in the classroom and professional world.
4) At the D1 level, what do you think of the new qualifying system? Should it be adapted to all other levels?
The new qualifying system will need several years of data to determine its success. I suspect several changes over the next couple years to develop it into a program that can be disseminated to other levels.
5) If you could change one thing about the National tournament for your team, what would it be?
Nothing comes to mind. A very well run and executed tournament.
6) How do you plan on improving your workouts, conditioning, and recruits to improve on your performance this season?
Ongoing study and research. Staying current with the latest in, not only our sport, but other industries that directly effect wrestling such as science, nutrition, sales, etc.
7) What did you feel you struggled with the most throughout the year? How will you fix it next season?
Injuries are tough to fix but continuing to develop our strength program and incorporating flexibility more often.
8) If you had to pick one defining moment for your team at the NCAA's, what would it be?
5 entrants and 2 All-Americans. Also having 2 Freshman qualifying and a Sophomore claiming 6th means we'll be back with returning AA's and qualifiers!
Tags for this Thread