Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 55

Thread: Thoughts on the Finals

  1. #19
    Administrator Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    5,188

    Default Re: Thoughts on the Finals

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    I agree and especially like the 'he needs to get up' comment.
    Hahaha yeah. "Let's win right, too."


  2. #20

    Default Re: Thoughts on the Finals

    The Brent Matcalf who wrestled last night didn't even look like the guy we've seen all season. After the 2 takedowns in the 1st period he just seemed dazed and out of it. It was really strange.

    And I agreed with the ESPN announcer (and how often can you say that) that Caldwell should "get off the mat." It was hot-dogging, it was disgusting, and it showed arrogance and no humility. What is this the NFL? He acted like a thug and then had the nerve to "thank god." Give me a break.

    Metcalf deserved to lose, but after watching Caldwell at the end I felt they should have given no one the trophy. The whole thing made me sick.

    Herbert. Hodge. No question. He's the man.

    Franklin Gomez. Class. Pure class. Perhaps he can teach some to Caldwell?

  3. #21

    Default Re: Thoughts on the Finals

    Caldwell would never have even risked an injury if he hadn't engaged in that reckless way at the end. He should have ended the match, shook hands, and then celebrated. It was Caldwell who chose how that match would end, not Metcalf.

    Metcalf deserved to lose but to blame the ending of that match on Metcalf borders on ridiculous. Caldwell set the events in motion, not Metcalf. He should be held more responsible. I seriously doubt that Metcalf even heard that whistle. He probably wanted to kill Caldwell at that point. And it's hard to blame him.

    They both need humility lessons. No wrestler has the right to celebrate with time on the clock and in the manner that Caldwell did. And I also think intent should be taken into consideration. Not just result.

  4. #22

    Default Re: Thoughts on the Finals

    I thought that the HWT bout was terrific. Great job by Dudziak from Duke. He was soooooo close to being nat'l champ. Still becoming Duke's first AA is a terrific accomplishment. Congrats!!
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

  5. #23

    Default Re: Thoughts on the Finals

    Quote Originally Posted by tmwellsworth View Post
    And I agreed with the ESPN announcer (and how often can you say that) that Caldwell should "get off the mat." It was hot-dogging, it was disgusting, and it showed arrogance and no humility.
    I sure hope that you were this up in arms when Perry celebrated the exact same way after beating Hendricks a few years ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by tmwellsworth View Post
    What is this the NFL? He acted like a thug and then had the nerve to "thank god." Give me a break...after watching Caldwell at the end I felt they should have given no one the trophy. The whole thing made me sick...Franklin Gomez. Class. Pure class. Perhaps he can teach some to Caldwell?
    Nice comments on "the NFL" and Caldwell being a "thug". I'll let those comments sit how they are, I just appreciate the fact that they're more thinly veiled than bj5151's were.

    Scoreboard.

  6. #24
    Related To Gage Trusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,420

    Default Re: Thoughts on the Finals

    The finals were great. Yeah, everyone would like to see some more action but on the other hand the champs did what they needed. I would have liked to see Duke get a champ, and Cladwell was da man(holy chit-we watched it about 6 times)! I have to say, Metcalf seemed "out of it" from the whistle, looked like Lincoln Mac(deer in headlights)when Marrinotti shocked the world back in the mid 90's.

    For Iowa to have wrestled the absolute poorest tournament and still walk away with the title shows just how strong they are. Pretty much everything went wrong for them and they still win the title.

  7. #25

    Default Re: Thoughts on the Finals

    Quote Originally Posted by Trusty View Post
    For Iowa to have wrestled the absolute poorest tournament and still walk away with the title shows just how strong they are. Pretty much everything went wrong for them and they still win the title.

    Agreed. Really amazing that they were able to win it without a champ and w/ Falck, Tsirtsis, & Borschel all missing the podium.

  8. #26

    Default Re: Thoughts on the Finals

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I sure hope that you were this up in arms when Perry celebrated the exact same way after beating Hendricks a few years ago.



    Nice comments on "the NFL" and Caldwell being a "thug". I'll let those comments sit how they are, I just appreciate the fact that they're more thinly veiled than bj5151's were.

    Scoreboard.
    Dont forget Coleman Scott celebration last which last about 15 seconds longer and I think Tim Johnson was on the mat celebrating with him. I love seeing Perry and Scott celebrations and I was dancing along with caldwell last night.

  9. #27

    Default Re: Thoughts on the Finals

    Quote Originally Posted by tmwellsworth View Post
    Caldwell would never have even risked an injury if he hadn't engaged in that reckless way at the end. He should have ended the match, shook hands, and then celebrated. It was Caldwell who chose how that match would end, not Metcalf.

    Metcalf deserved to lose but to blame the ending of that match on Metcalf borders on ridiculous. Caldwell set the events in motion, not Metcalf. He should be held more responsible. I seriously doubt that Metcalf even heard that whistle. He probably wanted to kill Caldwell at that point. And it's hard to blame him.

    They both need humility lessons. No wrestler has the right to celebrate with time on the clock and in the manner that Caldwell did. And I also think intent should be taken into consideration. Not just result.
    Yeah, Metcalf was the victim here. Caldwell, afterall, MADE him do it.

    "He probably wanted to kill Caldwell at that point. And it's hard to blame him."

    Do you even understand what you are saying here? You don't mean it literally of course, but even figuratively it's wrong. Period.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •