Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 28 to 36 of 47

Thread: Any College kids that can challenge Burroughs?

  1. #28

    Default Re: Any College kids that can challenge Burroughs?

    I wish that some of the guys like Askren would have stuck around the freestyle circuit longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

  2. #29
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: Any College kids that can challenge Burroughs?

    AH's style hes not changed in the last decade. Relies on super heavy hands , stays square and makes no mistakes . All the while pressuring the other guy.He wrestled Hump the same way at 130 as a freshman in high school and Burroughs the same way at Midlands. He wrestled Burroughs much tougher in freestyle and will find a way to score on JB and defend the blast double.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

  3. #30
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Any College kids that can challenge Burroughs?

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Name someone as good as taylor who didnt have freestyle success.
    Pat Smith

  4. #31

    Default Re: Any College kids that can challenge Burroughs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Pat Smith
    How much freestyle did Pat do? Who was his domestic competition? Cant say i know much about his freestyle career
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  5. #32
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Any College kids that can challenge Burroughs?

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    How much freestyle did Pat do? Who was his domestic competition? Cant say i know much about his freestyle career
    We don't know much about his FS career because he never had much on one. I don't know all of the details or how long he tried, but I don't think he ever made the US National team. I vaguely remember him losing to Rob Koll in a US team trial final.

    Another name that did not have any FS success after a great NCAA career is Carlton Haselrig. He gave up on wrestling and went to Pro Football after he ended up in the middle of the US heavyweight pack.

  6. #33

    Default Re: Any College kids that can challenge Burroughs?

    .....and Ironside and Alger
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

  7. #34
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: Any College kids that can challenge Burroughs?

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Askren wrestled freestyle seriously for one year and was our olympian. Not a great example.
    That was my point: that winning the hodge didnt necessarily translate into Intl success.

  8. #35
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Any College kids that can challenge Burroughs?

    Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    That was my point: that winning the hodge didnt necessarily translate into Intl success.
    I think VA's point was that ASkren had FS scuccess. Making the Olympic team after one year of serious freestryle trainng is success. Too bad he did not stick with it...

    Cole Konrad and Greg Jones are two other great collegiate wrestlers that did not have success after college. I don't know if Jones even tried, I remember he was going to try pro football.
    Konrad bounce back and forth between Greco and Freestyle and was never really close to be the top US heavy.

  9. #36

    Default Re: Any College kids that can challenge Burroughs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I think VA's point was that ASkren had FS scuccess. Making the Olympic team after one year of serious freestryle trainng is success. Too bad he did not stick with it...

    Cole Konrad and Greg Jones are two other great collegiate wrestlers that did not have success after college. I don't know if Jones even tried, I remember he was going to try pro football.
    Konrad bounce back and forth between Greco and Freestyle and was never really close to be the top US heavy.
    That was my point ODH. Making the olympic team and winning matches is success imo, especially given Bens unique style and lack of freestyle training. Cole didnt try any Free after college iirc. Dont know about Jones.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •