Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 44
Discuss 2013 weight changes at the College Wrestling within the Wrestling Talk Forums; If they added a weight, would that affect the # of scholarships? I'm guessing not. ...
  1. #10
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: 2013 weight changes

    If they added a weight, would that affect the # of scholarships? I'm guessing not. Since a lot of the heavier wrestlers in HS are also football players (who end up choosing football in college), do you think there would be enough big guys to go around at 197, 220, Hwt for all the teams?

  2. #11
    Olympic Champ Flop The Nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,469

    Default Re: 2013 weight changes

    Quote Originally Posted by TomWright25 View Post
    If they added a weight, would that affect the # of scholarships? I'm guessing not. Since a lot of the heavier wrestlers in HS are also football players (who end up choosing football in college), do you think there would be enough big guys to go around at 197, 220, Hwt for all the teams?
    I can't imagine watching a 220 weight class. I start to zone out around 174, the only reason I watched '84 is because of QW. Quite honestly, I watched about 1/2 of the 197 final and then turned the channel. Didn't watch a heavyweight match the entire tournament.

  3. #12
    NCAA Champ BlueBloodLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The same planet as you
    Posts
    1,096

    Default Re: 2013 weight changes

    That weight is hit or miss in HS, just like the weights at the low end.
    What I'm wondering is how that would translate to freestyle. Would it help us with the 96 kilo weight class, or would we continue to see 197 guys bump up (ala Varner)?

  4. #13
    Olympic Champ Gantry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: 2013 weight changes

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    I can't imagine watching a 220 weight class. I start to zone out around 174, the only reason I watched '84 is because of QW. Quite honestly, I watched about 1/2 of the 197 final and then turned the channel. Didn't watch a heavyweight match the entire tournament.
    You losing interest in the upper weights has nothing to do with the scoring and excitement levels at that weight class. Simaz and Honeycutt are two of the most active, highest scoring wrestlers regardless of weight. Honeycutt was awarded with the most tech falls this year. 184 is always full of action... Heavy I'll give you, but the other two don't compute.

  5. #14
    Administrator JensenS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    19,925
    Blog Entries
    56

    Default Re: 2013 weight changes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    Minnesota - Both Dardanes up a weight, Thorn in at 133, Ness to 157
    Neither Dardanes has anywhere near the frame in my mind to move up from where they're at. In my mind moving up would only compound the issues that Nick had on the mat this year.

    I don't know where Herkey's information on Thorn is from, but right now that's my hope that Thorn McDonoughs his way down to 125 next year. Then figure on Zilverburg going where ever Ness doesn't.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  6. #15
    AA jammen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    656

    Default Re: 2013 weight changes

    Yohn and Storley switch weights which improves both wrestlers.

    Ness very probable to 157.

    And everyone is hoping that Thorn can make 125.

  7. #16
    Olympic Champ Flop The Nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,469

    Default Re: 2013 weight changes

    Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    And everyone is hoping that Thorn can make 125.
    He'd better put the fork down now and walk away from the plate.

  8. #17
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: 2013 weight changes

    Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    Yohn and Storley switch weights which improves both wrestlers.

    Ness very probable to 157.

    And everyone is hoping that Thorn can make 125.
    If all that happens, that will make a strong Minny team even stronger!

  9. #18
    Olympic Champ Gantry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: 2013 weight changes

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Neither Dardanes has anywhere near the frame in my mind to move up from where they're at. In my mind moving up would only compound the issues that Nick had on the mat this year.

    I don't know where Herkey's information on Thorn is from, but right now that's my hope that Thorn McDonoughs his way down to 125 next year. Then figure on Zilverburg going where ever Ness doesn't.
    I was envisioning a lineup where Thorn and both Dardanes get in there, so if Thorn can do 125 then that works even better. Though as twin brothers who wrestled 135 & 140 in high school, I don't think 141 & 149 is that big of a stretch.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

user tags

2013 ncaa wrestling rankings

andrew howe 2013

kyle dake weight 2013

ncaa wrestling rankings 2013andrew howe thewrestlingtalk2013 college wrestling rankings by weightandrew howe wrestling february 2013andrew howe wrestling 2013 rankings

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •