Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 42
Discuss More Dominant back to back to back? at the College Wrestling within the Wrestling Talk Forums; Not quite back to back to back 1973 Clarion Golden Eagles 134 Don Rohn Freshman ...
  1. #10
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: More Dominant back to back to back?

    Not quite back to back to back
    1973 Clarion Golden Eagles
    134 Don Rohn Freshman NCAA Champ Season ?-?, Career record 124-9-2, 38 Falls (28%)
    158 Wade Schalles Junior NCAA Champ Season 37-0, Career 153-5-1, 106 Falls (67%)
    167 Bill Simpson Junior NCAA Champ Season 39-2, Career 121-21-2, 69 Falls (48%)
    Total career stats 4 NCAA Championships, 398 wins 35 losses 5 ties (Winning pct .909), 213 career FALLS, (49%)

  2. #11
    Round of 12 dback_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    412

    Default Re: More Dominant back to back to back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    Brands, Brands, Steiner in the 91-92 season. All three #1 seeds at NCAA, all three champs.
    You got me there with that lineup. Add Zap in there and thats a salty line up. As far as the best lineup ever. I still have to think that the 1997 Iowa team is the best college wrestling team to ever step out on the mat. Im of course an Iowa fan, but that line up was ridiculous and what they did in Cedar Falls will probably not be matched again, if not for a very long time.

  3. #12
    #1 Homer Herkey#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,688

    Default Re: More Dominant back to back to back?

    Quote Originally Posted by dback_5 View Post
    You got me there with that lineup. Add Zap in there and thats a salty line up. As far as the best lineup ever. I still have to think that the 1997 Iowa team is the best college wrestling team to ever step out on the mat. Im of course an Iowa fan, but that line up was ridiculous and what they did in Cedar Falls will probably not be matched again, if not for a very long time.

    Iowa had a lot of years in the 80's and early 90's that had eight or nine AA's. You'd have to go back and go through them all. The 97 team came on and peaked at the right time. Yes there was some studs on the team but you also had guys like Whitmer, Gillis, Uker and Ersland who just had great tournaments. Hand wasnt' even at his potential yet on that team. I'm sure there are other Hawkeye, OSU or ISU teams that have been more solid up and down the lineup. It's just that no other team came on and peaked like that team did.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  4. #13
    Round of 12 dback_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    412

    Default Re: More Dominant back to back to back?

    Which makes them the best though. Its all about what you do in March. Nobody cares what you did during the regular season when it comes down to it when looking back at great teams.

  5. #14
    AA Chop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Garner, IA
    Posts
    502

    Default Re: More Dominant back to back to back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    Brands, Brands, Steiner in the 91-92 season. All three #1 seeds at NCAA, all three champs.
    Bingo. This is what I would have posted as well. I don't think anyone can beat a trio like this. I agree Ruth, DT but adding QW makes it weaker than Brands, Brands and Steiner. Ruth and Taylor just need to find another stud like them to fill in at 57 or 84 next year.

  6. #15
    Round of 12 dback_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    412

    Default Re: More Dominant back to back to back?

    Also remember that Taylor and Ruth have never won a title either. Given they are only both Sophomores but the fact remains. As it stands today Taylor, Ruth, and Wright arent even in a conversation for top say.....5-10 most dominant of all time. Now, give those guys another 2 years after this one and then this conversation will be totally different.

  7. #16
    Administrator vaisforlovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9,931

    Default Re: More Dominant back to back to back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Bingo. This is what I would have posted as well. I don't think anyone can beat a trio like this. I agree Ruth, DT but adding QW makes it weaker than Brands, Brands and Steiner. Ruth and Taylor just need to find another stud like them to fill in at 57 or 84 next year.
    I'm sure Cael is scrambling like crazy to replace Quentin Wright.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  8. #17
    Olympic Champ Flop The Nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,469

    Default Re: More Dominant back to back to back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    Bingo. This is what I would have posted as well. I don't think anyone can beat a trio like this. I agree Ruth, DT but adding QW makes it weaker than Brands, Brands and Steiner. Ruth and Taylor just need to find another stud like them to fill in at 57 or 84 next year.
    Wut? I need a facepalm emoticon to fully sum up my feelings.

  9. #18
    National Finalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    811

    Default Re: More Dominant back to back to back?

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I'm sure Cael is scrambling like crazy to replace Quentin Wright.
    +10

    Post of the decade!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

user tags

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •