Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 28

Thread: Iowa 19 Minnesota 17: Post Dual Thoughts

  1. #19

    Default Re: Iowa 19 Minnesota 17: Post Dual Thoughts

    I think the "Yohn is cutting too much weight" argument doesn't play considering he's notched good wins in the past, and the fact that he's not really that big of a 65 makes me think he's just pretty inconsistent and maybe doesn't cut his weight properly.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  2. #20
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Iowa 19 Minnesota 17: Post Dual Thoughts

    Also, Mike Evans isn't exactly what you would call a small 165.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  3. #21

  4. #22
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: Iowa 19 Minnesota 17: Post Dual Thoughts


  5. #23

    Default Re: Iowa 19 Minnesota 17: Post Dual Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    I furthermore don't think Minnesota has ever told a kid to go to a weight they don't think they can have success at? We don't have ridiculous weight cutters on this squad. If he was good enough to go up and hold down 174 I think Minny would have let him compete there.
    Minny has not had a 165 lber for the last 4 years. Cody wrestled 184 as freshmen and had success at 174 before he was asked by the coaches to make the cut to 165 for the good of the team. The fans all wanted it because we had a hole at that weight. I'm bewildered that you are a gopher fan and aren't aware of this.

  6. #24

    Default Re: Iowa 19 Minnesota 17: Post Dual Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I think the "Yohn is cutting too much weight" argument doesn't play considering he's notched good wins in the past, and the fact that he's not really that big of a 65 makes me think he's just pretty inconsistent and maybe doesn't cut his weight properly.
    He wrestled 184 and made the cut to 174 as a freshman. He is emaciated at 165. Not everyone can make massive weight cuts like McD and Evans. In fact most guys go up a weight and discover newfound success at the higher weight class.

  7. #25

    Default Re: Iowa 19 Minnesota 17: Post Dual Thoughts

    I don't know about Cody Yohn's situation but McD and Evans is well documented. McD seems to be the ultimate athlete as far as training, eating healthy and having his faith in order. Tom Brands talks about these 3 phases of life all the time and I know McD has bought into that belief. Now that Evans lives with McD he has been on record saying "McD is the absolute best at cutting weight the proper way." The reason Evans made the cut was because he said McD was teaching him how to cut weight properly and feel strong and refreshed. He couldn't have done it and been successful is what he was saying. I don't know if Cody cuts weight properly or not but maybe he isn't and that is why MN is seeing the inconsistancy.

  8. #26

    Default Re: Iowa 19 Minnesota 17: Post Dual Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    I don't know about Cody Yohn's situation but McD and Evans is well documented. McD seems to be the ultimate athlete as far as training, eating healthy and having his faith in order. Tom Brands talks about these 3 phases of life all the time and I know McD has bought into that belief. Now that Evans lives with McD he has been on record saying "McD is the absolute best at cutting weight the proper way." The reason Evans made the cut was because he said McD was teaching him how to cut weight properly and feel strong and refreshed. He couldn't have done it and been successful is what he was saying. I don't know if Cody cuts weight properly or not but maybe he isn't and that is why MN is seeing the inconsistancy.
    Very interesting about McD and his influence on Evans!

  9. #27

    Default Re: Iowa 19 Minnesota 17: Post Dual Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by jammen View Post
    Minny has not had a 165 lber for the last 4 years. Cody wrestled 184 as freshmen and had success at 174 before he was asked by the coaches to make the cut to 165 for the good of the team. The fans all wanted it because we had a hole at that weight. I'm bewildered that you are a gopher fan and aren't aware of this.
    Listen, I'm pretty up to speed on the Gophers, I know the Cody Yohn saga. The point is that he may have wrestled 184 once or twice. Ortiz has gone up to 174 to wrestle Ruth for god's sakes. It happens. Yohn has been at 165 generally his whe career and looked good there early in the season. If you want to argue he may not be managing his weight properly, I'll listen to that argument but to tell me he's jumping on a grenade for his team after making this weight for 2.5 years and looking good doing it early in the season, I just don't agree with that.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •