Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 98

Thread: Big 10 Awards

  1. #19
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Big 10 Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    I already made my claim. It's myopic and silly to not understand that Wrestler of the Year is meant to honor an athlete for more than just the current season. After the career he's had, it would be insane to let Herbert graduate and not be honored. Maybe the Big Ten should have a different award for this sort of thing, but at the moment, they don't, so this is how the coaches have chosen to honor Herbert. Godcalf will get plenty of awards, so there is no need to be stingy.
    You're just making things up. Like I said, they gave it Metcalf last year. The award is called Wrestler of the Year. If you think Herbert has had a better year then Metcalf, go ahead and say so, but stop pretending like it's some kind of career achievement award.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  2. #20
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Big 10 Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    In the Oscar's they call it the "Lifetime Achievement Award"...plus giving it to Metcalf would be like giving it to a cardboard cutout. Cue the Tiger Woods sound bite...."The golf course looks good, my swing looks good, I like MY chances." (in monotone robotic voice)

    I think Metcalf would just melt the award with his STEELY glare.

    I am calling my shot now. DS and Metcalf meet up at 157 Finals and DS takes him.
    Again, they gave it to Metcalf last year. Stop pretending it's a lifetime achievement award. And if you're argument had any validity about not giving it to Metcalf because he's "too good" had any validity, they should have stopped giving Hodge trophies to Cael Sanderson.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  3. #21

    Default Re: Big 10 Awards

    I'm not saying it's my reasoning, I'm saying it's the coaches who decided the award's reasoning. Was Pacino really deserving of the Oscar for Scent of a Woman? Probably not. However, he deserved an Oscar for some point in his career, so they gave it to him for that one.

    I've already explained why I think the coaches voted the way they did, about 12 times. You boys have fun playing with yourselves on this one.

  4. #22

    Default Re: Big 10 Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    I think we should build a golden altar for Metcalf, and let him wrestle upon it because he is clearly the finest wrestler in all the land! Bring him all the finest wines and cheeses!
    I thought it was muffins and bagels??
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

    "Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

  5. #23
    Olympic Champ RYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,376

    Default Re: Big 10 Awards

    2009 Big Ten Championships
    Final Team Standings

    1: Iowa, 141.0
    2: Illinois, 113.5
    3: Michigan, 92.5
    4: Wisconsin, 88.0
    5: Minnesota, 86.0
    6: OHIO STATE, 80.0
    7: Penn State, 79.5
    8: Northwestern, 73.5
    9: Indiana, 67.5
    10: Purdue, 52.0
    11: Michigan State, 45.5
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

  6. #24
    World Champ
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: Big 10 Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    I think we should build a golden altar for Metcalf, and let him wrestle upon it because he is clearly the finest wrestler in all the land! Bring him all the finest wines and cheeses! No other wrestlers accomplishments should be honored, especially not a senior who has been a huge part in reenergizing a Northwestern program, and who has a future at the Olympic level. Nah, let's be myopic and only honor Metcalf.
    Okay

  7. #25
    World Champ
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: Big 10 Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by bluestater View Post
    I already made my claim. It's myopic and silly to not understand that Wrestler of the Year is meant to honor an athlete for more than just the current season. After the career he's had, it would be insane to let Herbert graduate and not be honored. Maybe the Big Ten should have a different award for this sort of thing, but at the moment, they don't, so this is how the coaches have chosen to honor Herbert. Godcalf will get plenty of awards, so there is no need to be stingy.
    Let me get this straight. Wrestler of the YEAR honors an athlete for MORE than just the current season? How long is a year anyway?
    One thing for sure. Herbert's interviews are really great. They should have given Herbert the Mr. Congeniality Award for the last 2 years.

  8. #26

    Default Re: Big 10 Awards

    Clearly people on a whole other level than this group in this thread made the decision. Herbert got it. You can debate all you want but I don't think they are going to change it based on what a people here are saying.

    Go to the tape I guess...
    Herbert 33-0, 14 pins, 4 tech falls, 6 majors (more ranked wrestlers I think here)
    Metcalf 37-0 18 pins, 7 tech falls, 5 majors (take away Coe, Mankato State and ICCC and its 15 pins, 7 techs, 5 majors.

    Not sure you can complain either way with which of the two they gave it to.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

  9. #27

    Default Re: Big 10 Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    Clearly people on a whole other level than this group in this thread made the decision. Herbert got it. You can debate all you want but I don't think they are going to change it based on what a people here are saying.

    Go to the tape I guess...
    Herbert 33-0, 14 pins, 4 tech falls, 6 majors (more ranked wrestlers I think here)
    Metcalf 37-0 18 pins, 7 tech falls, 5 majors (take away Coe, Mankato State and ICCC and its 15 pins, 7 techs, 5 majors.

    Not sure you can complain either way with which of the two they gave it to.
    Ok, so under the most extreme circumstances where you actually take away matches from metcalf, Herbert has one less win, one less pin, 3 fewer techs, and one more major. Compelling argument.

    And i'm sure every single match herbert wrestled was against just top knotch competition. If you wrestle a lot of matches, you'll get lots of scrubs, i'm sure herbert had his share JUST like metcalf.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •