Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 28

Thread: Good bye Wisconsin

  1. #1
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Good bye Wisconsin

    As we have surmised on the boards for quite some time the article alludes that he will be relocating to finish his college career.

    Hanover's Howe leaves Wisconsin's wrestling program to pursue Olympic dream
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Good bye Wisconsin

    I have mixed feelings about this. I like to see loyalty to the university but on the other hand he probably thinks Pritzlaff and Bormet can help him with his post collegiate career. Will he follow Donny if he takes a head coaching job at Michigan State after this season?
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  3. #3

    Default Re: Good bye Wisconsin

    Guys committ to the coach more than the university. You see this often and you saw it with VT and Brands. It doesn't bother me, but it is unfortunate for Wisc and Barry Davis.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Good bye Wisconsin

    I have but one concern with this: watching the NCAA semi and final rounds won't be the same without Clint Kessnick (or whatever his name is) interviewing Barry Davis live while the match is in progress.

    Say what you want about the entertainment from the wrestling, but THOSE interviews is how we expand the sport to the general public! In all seriousness, when these interviews are on, I yell for my wife to come watch (she sprints into the room), and text my son to turn on the tv (he sprints to the remote)!
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Good bye Wisconsin

    I think guys are missing something.......where is the sense of loyalty........where is a sense of honoring commitments? Does integrity/character not matter if someone is an elete athlete. This really leaves a bad taste. As potential employee, this history would be an important issue to me.
    JMO
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Good bye Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by TLV View Post
    I think guys are missing something.......where is the sense of loyalty........where is a sense of honoring commitments? Does integrity/character not matter if someone is an elete athlete. This really leaves a bad taste. As potential employee, this history would be an important issue to me.
    JMO
    I think the student athletes should look up to their coaches. The coaches make commitments and promises during recruiting. Then they leave whenever they want for better pay. Sometimes the athletes have to sit a year when they transfer. But the coaches don't. Once those two are playing by the same rules, I will agree with your point.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Good bye Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I have but one concern with this: watching the NCAA semi and final rounds won't be the same without Clint Kessnick (or whatever his name is) interviewing Barry Davis live while the match is in progress.
    Truer words were never spoken. Those interviews are pure gold.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Good bye Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I think the student athletes should look up to their coaches. The coaches make commitments and promises during recruiting. Then they leave whenever they want for better pay. Sometimes the athletes have to sit a year when they transfer. But the coaches don't. Once those two are playing by the same rules, I will agree with your point.
    I don't disagree with you. I had no problem with DT following CS, since he had not enrolled at ISU. BUT, I have much more respect for Varner for staying up, finishing up and then going East to be with Cael.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Good bye Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by TLV View Post
    I don't disagree with you. I had no problem with DT following CS, since he had not enrolled at ISU. BUT, I have much more respect for Varner for staying up, finishing up and then going East to be with Cael.
    I guess my point goes more towards the coaches. They make the same commitments as the students but get to leave whenever they want with no reprocussions. If these are the people the student athletes are supposed to look up to, then I have more of a problem with them leaving during a contract. The universities release them based on how much money they will get in return. It should be based on the promises those coaches made to the recruits if college sports were really "amateur".

    Then, if a university won't release a coach, he just retires and then comes back the next year to coach where he wanted to coach in the first place. Yes that is an Urban Meyer reference and yes, I am an Ohio State fan. I just don't have respect for guys like that. There are kids that committed to Florida based on him alone. Now he's at tOSU and the kids can't transfer without giving up a year's eligibility.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •