Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 27

Thread: Iowa v Minnesota Wrestling

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Iowa v Minnesota Wrestling

    I know its way too early but god I am hungry for some debate and for wrestling so here goes...

    Minnesota v Iowa

    125 Ness v Falck Dec Ness 3-0 Minnesota (Ness, although not by much, 7-4?)
    133 Reiter v Slaton/Dennis M Dec Reiter 7-0 Minnesota (Reiter handily)
    141 Rivera v Tsirtsis Dec Rivera 10-0 Minnesota (Manny's knee?)
    149 Schlatter v Metcalf Dec Metcalf 10-3 Minnesota (call it a hunch)
    157 Schlatter v Morningstar Dec Schlat 13-3 Minnesota (good match)
    165 Perry v Glasser M Dec. Perry 13-7 Minnesota (good test for Glass
    174 Dretsch v Beatty Dec. Dretsch 16-7 Minnesota (mat savvy Dretsch
    184 Kish v Keaddy M Dec Kish 20-7 Minnesota (Kish takes no shit)
    197 Eidensheink v Lofthouse Dec. Loft 20-10 Minnesota (???????)
    Hwt Fields v Nord/Berhow M Dec Fields 20-14 Minnesota (Sr v Fr, well see)

    I see this one as pretty close and before you Iowegians start giving me too much guff, remember I gave you the Metcalf/Schlatter match and the 197 match which I think are both toss-ups. I also threw in bonus points for Fields and Perry which probably could happen and even if both of those guys pin you still lose 20-18. I just really don't see the other matches going the other way although I expect ten hard fought battles on that mat.

    Ness seems to have the mental edge in this match-up right now although Falck has seen him enough to know whats coming. That being said, Ness just has that "Coleman Scott" thing where he can shoot from across the mat and seem to get a leg at any time. His style is tough for Falck to match up with.

    Reiter will decision or pin here, if you have to ask why I think that then you don't follow wrestling. (Rock a bye baby) Both Ness or Reiters match can end up this way, WIN or PIN.

    Rivera v Tsirtsis will be a great test of how far Tsirtsis has come with some better competition in the wrestling room and a new attitude for its wrestlers. Rivera's injury from last year concerns me but then again, who was hotter than Rivera for the first half of the season last year. If we get the same Manny back, I think he still has the edge in this match-up. (Speedy Gonzalez).

    Metcalf v Schlatter, another good test of Schlatter's comeback from what was described as a year long knee problem. I like Metcalf in this first match-up and I say that because I remember when DS started knocking off the Top 5 during his run as a freshman. Nobody knew him and his style took some by surprise.

    I think C.P. is poised for a break-out year. In a pretty loaded weight I think he is definitely in the Top 5 and really able to knock off any guy at this weight at any time. His style lends alot of his matches to remain too close but I like the intangibles with C.P. this year and I think he has Morningstar's number.

    Perry v Glasser-a great challenge for Glasser here to prove he belongs in the Top 15. While obviously out experienced by Perry, Glasser has the skills to stay in this match.

    I still have hope for Dretsch but it will disappear quickly for me this year if he begins taking matches off. Look for J Rob to be quick to insert Sitch here or maybe even Kuhlman if Dretsch doesn't stay at a high level throughout. He has the experience nod over Beatty.

    Kish v Keaddy-look for Kish to be on a mission here and look for J Rob to start asking Kish to get his team some bigger points this year than in the past. I gave Kish a m dec here but I feel it could be more.

    197? No idea, I won't know until I have seen both of them wrestle some matches here this year. I just have to say, good riddance Yura, we hardly knew ya.

    Heavyweight I am for sure giving to Iowa. I think the Iowa coaching staff thinks Fields can get it done this year and will work hard to convince him that he IS the guy to beat at Heavyweight. Look for him to have the upper hand here as he has the weight advantage and the mat experience. I think a talented Nord and Berhow will not allow themselves to be pinned unless they get thrown from their feet. I like Fields here for sure with some bonus points although Nord and Berhow are definitely up and comers. If we could only get one of them to make the cut to 197 (not gonna happen).
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

  2. #2

    Default Re: Iowa v Minnesota

    Ok I will give my opinion however biased you make think here it is.

    Iowa Vs Minnesota
    Falck Vs Ness. Ness in a close one 7-6 7-5 something like that. 0-3 MN

    Slaton Vs Reiter. Reiter in another close one 6-5. 0-6 MN

    Tsirtsis vs Rivera. Call it a hunch Tsirtsis wins 4-1. 3-6 MN

    Metcalf vs Schlatter . These guys wil probably trade matches this year. Another barn burner. Metcalf 4-3. 6-6

    Morningstar vs Schlatter. Morningstar is improved but the dual being in MN Schlatter. 9-7 on a late takedown. 6-9 MN

    Perry Vs Glasser. Perry as way too much for Glasser at least a major 10-9 IA

    Beatty Vs Dretsch. Beatty will be a force this year if he stays healthy probably one of the most physical 174's in the country. I will give it to Dretsch in a wild one 13-10. 10-12 Minn.


    Keddy vs. Kish. Kish wins by major. Keddy's got a big motor but he can be sloppy. 10-16 Minn.

    Mehnam vs. Eidensheink. Juco kid. a toss up Mehnam in a tight one 8-7. 13-16 Minn.

    Fields vs Nord/Berhow. Fields in a non-spectacular match 16-16.


    One upset for Iowa and it's a tight dual this one defintely could come down to bonus points

  3. #3
    Related To Gage Trusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Iowa v Minnesota

    This how I see it...
    25-41-49-74 and 97 are all toss up matches that could go either way, I could throw 25 to Minny, but I think Falck is going to be right there.

    Iowa big favorites in 2, 65 and heavy.

    Minnesota favorites in 3, 33,57 and 84.

    I say 65 and 84 are the only bonus points in the dual.

    Minnesota is the obvious favorite on paper, but I think it will be way too close for Minny fans.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Iowa v Minnesota

    I really don't see how you could call 125 a toss up right now, I don't think this is the biased Gopher fan in me either, Falck and Ness wrestled three times last year, and I don't think Falck scored a point, some one can correct me if I'm wrong. On to the picks though!

    125: Ness dec Falck: Falck managed to close the gap a little bit last year at NCAA's losing a close one in the quarters. I still think Ness is going to be too much for him, Ness was great last year, but I think its entirely possible that he brings his game to an even higher level this year. That high half series is one of the most brutal moves any guy in college has.

    3-0 Minnesota

    133: Reiter dec Dennis or Slaton: Throwing Iowa a little bit of a bone here, Reiter wrestled both of these guys his sophomore year, majoring Dennis, and pinning Slaton. I'll assume that both guys will manage to stay off their backs, and keep it within seven. Wouldn't be surprised though if there were more here.

    6-0 Minnesota

    141: Rivera dec Tsirtsis: Hopefully we get to see this match this year, really depends on what Tsirtsis we see if we're going to guess how this match goes. If Tsirtsis comes out hard, and smart, smart is going to be key he may be able to steal this one for the Hawks. Rivera just needs to do what won him 35 straight matches last year, stay in motion, stay hard on the head, just basically work hard from all three spots, I think he does it, but I think Tsirtsis wrestles him tough.

    9-0 Minnesota

    149: Schlatter dec Metcalf: The only thing I'm undecided on is how I want this match to go. In one sense I'd like to see Schlatter open it up on him and beat him by like five or six. But my evil side wants to see Schlatter win 3-2 on riding time just to go read all the message boards exploding in rage. All seriousness though, this one is going to be a battle.

    12-0 Minnesota

    157: Schlatter dec Morningstar: This is really going to depend on how much Morningstar has evolved his game over the summer, if all he still has is the low single from out in space, he won't score on CP. CP dominated him in both matches they had last year from the tie ups, I personally think he does it again.

    15-0 Minnesota

    165: Perry maj Glasser: Glasser is a tough kid, but Perry is the best. Might wind up as more, but I picked Perry to pin Saf last year and he didn't, so I'll hold off on this one too.

    15-4 Minnesota

    174: Beatty dec Dretsch: I've given the Gophs most all the toss ups here, so I figure I can toss this one to the Hawks, at least until I see both these guys get going. I hope to all hope that Dretsch gets back to working double unders on guys this year, instead of just only trying to work the russian.

    15-7 Minnesota

    184: Kish maj Keddy: Kish whupped him last year, and again this year I don't think will be much different. Keddy is a good athlete, but Kish is just so varied with his stuff off his feet, I think he'll be too much for Keddy, and will get the major here.

    19-7 Minnesota

    197: Menham dec Eidenschink: Match between two relatively unknown guys, Eidenschink is tough, but I'll give this to Iowa. Eidenschink really needs to show an offensive game this year, I'm aware that was hard for him to do most times last year, as he was for the most part forced to wrestle nothing but top 10 guys, and was therefore just forced to scrap.

    19-10 Minnesota

    285: Fields dec Nord: If this is Berhow, same result. I'll call experience ruling here, however Fields has never really set the world on fire, so depending on how these Gopher guys do through out the season I think this one could be stole.

    19-13 Minnesota

    Closer than its been the last couple years, but I think the Gophers still pull it off. They're too experienced, and too seasoned for what is still a relatively young Iowa squad. Year after this year is going to be Iowa's year.

  5. #5
    Related To Gage Trusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Iowa v Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I really don't see how you could call 125 a toss up right now, I don't think this is the biased Gopher fan in me either, Falck and Ness wrestled three times last year, and I don't think Falck scored a point, some one can correct me if I'm wrong. On to the picks though!

    125: Ness dec Falck: Falck managed to close the gap a little bit last year at NCAA's losing a close one in the quarters. I still think Ness is going to be too much for him, Ness was great last year, but I think its entirely possible that he brings his game to an even higher level this year. That high half series is one of the most brutal moves any guy in college has.

    3-0 Minnesota

    133: Reiter dec Dennis or Slaton: Throwing Iowa a little bit of a bone here, Reiter wrestled both of these guys his sophomore year, majoring Dennis, and pinning Slaton. I'll assume that both guys will manage to stay off their backs, and keep it within seven. Wouldn't be surprised though if there were more here.

    6-0 Minnesota

    141: Rivera dec Tsirtsis: Hopefully we get to see this match this year, really depends on what Tsirtsis we see if we're going to guess how this match goes. If Tsirtsis comes out hard, and smart, smart is going to be key he may be able to steal this one for the Hawks. Rivera just needs to do what won him 35 straight matches last year, stay in motion, stay hard on the head, just basically work hard from all three spots, I think he does it, but I think Tsirtsis wrestles him tough.

    9-0 Minnesota

    149: Schlatter dec Metcalf: The only thing I'm undecided on is how I want this match to go. In one sense I'd like to see Schlatter open it up on him and beat him by like five or six. But my evil side wants to see Schlatter win 3-2 on riding time just to go read all the message boards exploding in rage. All seriousness though, this one is going to be a battle.

    12-0 Minnesota

    157: Schlatter dec Morningstar: This is really going to depend on how much Morningstar has evolved his game over the summer, if all he still has is the low single from out in space, he won't score on CP. CP dominated him in both matches they had last year from the tie ups, I personally think he does it again.

    15-0 Minnesota

    165: Perry maj Glasser: Glasser is a tough kid, but Perry is the best. Might wind up as more, but I picked Perry to pin Saf last year and he didn't, so I'll hold off on this one too.

    15-4 Minnesota

    174: Beatty dec Dretsch: I've given the Gophs most all the toss ups here, so I figure I can toss this one to the Hawks, at least until I see both these guys get going. I hope to all hope that Dretsch gets back to working double unders on guys this year, instead of just only trying to work the russian.

    15-7 Minnesota

    184: Kish maj Keddy: Kish whupped him last year, and again this year I don't think will be much different. Keddy is a good athlete, but Kish is just so varied with his stuff off his feet, I think he'll be too much for Keddy, and will get the major here.

    19-7 Minnesota

    197: Menham dec Eidenschink: Match between two relatively unknown guys, Eidenschink is tough, but I'll give this to Iowa. Eidenschink really needs to show an offensive game this year, I'm aware that was hard for him to do most times last year, as he was for the most part forced to wrestle nothing but top 10 guys, and was therefore just forced to scrap.

    19-10 Minnesota

    285: Fields dec Nord: If this is Berhow, same result. I'll call experience ruling here, however Fields has never really set the world on fire, so depending on how these Gopher guys do through out the season I think this one could be stole.

    19-13 Minnesota

    Closer than its been the last couple years, but I think the Gophers still pull it off. They're too experienced, and too seasoned for what is still a relatively young Iowa squad. Year after this year is going to be Iowa's year.

    Well...as you can see 1 toss up match that goes to Iowa (41-49) your in a dog fight. Should be fun.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Iowa v Minnesota

    Absolutely, but I could go ahead and take the redshirt senior at 174, and then we'd be back where we started.

    This is going to be a fun dual when it comes around.

  7. #7
    Related To Gage Trusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Iowa v Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Absolutely, but I could go ahead and take the redshirt senior at 174, and then we'd be back where we started.

    This is going to be a fun dual when it comes around.

    By time this dual rolls around, 74 may be the RS freshman (Sitch) rather than the RS senior.

    hint...hint...hint
    Last edited by Trusty; 10-04-2007 at 11:44 AM.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Iowa v Minnesota

    Just to reminisce about the preseason I especially liked this:

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post

    133: Reiter dec Dennis or Slaton: Throwing Iowa a little bit of a bone here, Reiter wrestled both of these guys his sophomore year, majoring Dennis, and pinning Slaton. I'll assume that both guys will manage to stay off their backs, and keep it within seven. Wouldn't be surprised though if there were more here.
    And this one:

    Quote Originally Posted by Goferphan
    there were many who stated that when V-Tech was basically dismantled and brought to Iowa that they would be immediate contenders for the title...i think they were premature by one year.
    It's like you guys are prescient!

    Just having a little fun, so hope the Goph fans don't go crazy
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Iowa v Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Just to reminisce about the preseason I especially liked this:



    And this one:



    It's like you guys are prescient!

    Just having a little fun, so hope the Goph fans don't go crazy
    Iowa is the team to beat for acouple years at least. The gophs will be young next year to say the least with oft injured CP, Kish, Manny and Mack gone. Brands looks like he is bringing the hawks back to the glory days in a fast and dominate way. Will have to wait and see if Thorn, Sanders, Mincey can step in those lower weights. I hope Ness goes up to 133 so sanders can get on the mat. If not then it will be either thorn or Mariciki going at 133 and who knows at 141. there is alot of question marks for the Gophers. I would think Mason and dietchler will redshirt next year as will Disney,Geiger and Mincey. Iowa looks like they will be awful tough to take down. It will be interesting to see where austin Enoch fits into the mix with the gophers next year. I did not see him on the roster but heard that he was hurt. J Rob will have alot of thinking to do. go Gophers! Maybe the mellmers step in since the gophers have no shot at Iowa next year anyway
    Last edited by tooldude; 04-13-2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Forgot about the mellmer brothers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •