Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 54

Thread: Gulibon verbals to PSU

  1. #10

    Default Re: Gulibon verbals to PSU

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes2 View Post
    I'll tell you who is overrated, DAVID TAYLOR. He's a phenomenal wrestler, excellent character, extremely skilled and athletic, literally great. BUT everyone in PA and OH hyped him as the next Dan Gable or Cael Sanderson and he just isn't that guy. No one in college wrestling is right now. Taylor is great, Dake is undefeated at NCAA's and has two more years to be the next Cael but that's two very long years. We're just on the subject of overrated high schoolers and PA kids even Iowa kids but Taylor is an Ohio kid who was just way over rated in my honest opinion, I still don't think he'll win it next season. Don't get me wrong, he's much better than I ever dreamed of being and I love everything about the kid, I just think he's overrated.
    So Dake in your mind can be Cael if he wins more titles? Even though in 2 years he has four losses?

    Taylor was as advertised. Bonused at an incredible rate and didn't have one close match until NCAA finals as a freshmen. He has been more impressive than Dake in my opinion when an entire year is taken into account. When he rips off 3 titles and one career loss I think you'll look back and wish you gave him some time to develop before you said all this.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  2. #11
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: Gulibon verbals to PSU

    Would Bubba have beaten DT in a rematch?

  3. #12

    Default Re: Gulibon verbals to PSU

    I fail to see how a wrestler is over-rated when his only loss last year was in the NCAA finals. Like many wrestlers, the fans boys picked David Taylor as the next coming of whomever. Those who root for schools other than Penn State found reasons why he would never succeed at the college level, and then reasons why he would not do well against Big 10 schools, and then why he would not succeed at the NCAA tournament. I am not a fan boy for any particular school, but rather a fan of wrestling. I do love watching Taylor wrestle just for his style, but it seems to me that anyone should admit that this kid did pretty well in a pressure-cooker that 99% of us can only dream of.

  4. #13

    Default Re: Gulibon verbals to PSU

    Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Would Bubba have beaten DT in a rematch?

    Yes, every time. The only person Bubba cant beat is Metcalf. Taylor has no chance against anyone named Bubba...ever.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  5. #14
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Gulibon verbals to PSU

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes2 View Post
    I'll tell you who is overrated, DAVID TAYLOR. He's a phenomenal wrestler, excellent character, extremely skilled and athletic, literally great. BUT everyone in PA and OH hyped him as the next Dan Gable or Cael Sanderson and he just isn't that guy. No one in college wrestling is right now. Taylor is great, Dake is undefeated at NCAA's and has two more years to be the next Cael but that's two very long years. We're just on the subject of overrated high schoolers and PA kids even Iowa kids but Taylor is an Ohio kid who was just way over rated in my honest opinion, I still don't think he'll win it next season. Don't get me wrong, he's much better than I ever dreamed of being and I love everything about the kid, I just think he's overrated.
    You are out of your mind. Taylor was far from overrated, he was great. Spectacular, even.

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    So Dake in your mind can be Cael if he wins more titles? Even though in 2 years he has four losses?

    Taylor was as advertised. Bonused at an incredible rate and didn't have one close match until NCAA finals as a freshmen. He has been more impressive than Dake in my opinion when an entire year is taken into account. When he rips off 3 titles and one career loss I think you'll look back and wish you gave him some time to develop before you said all this.
    And now we've swung the other way. Coaches have always been very clear about the most important thing: NCAA's. Wrestlers are trained to peak there. Dake has two titles in two years, Taylor has no titles in one year and was pinned in the NCAA Finals. Taylor was great, but not better than Dake.

    Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Would Bubba have beaten DT in a rematch?
    1. Who cares?

    2. I saw no evidence during their head to head match to say otherwise.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  6. #15

    Default Re: Gulibon verbals to PSU

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post

    And now we've swung the other way. Coaches have always been very clear about the most important thing: NCAA's. Wrestlers are trained to peak there. Dake has two titles in two years, Taylor has no titles in one year and was pinned in the NCAA Finals. Taylor was great, but not better than Dake.

    I can't disagree with that. When viewed as a complete package, I think DT brings more to the table, when we look back after his career I think you'll agree.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  7. #16

    Default Re: Gulibon verbals to PSU

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyes2 View Post
    I'll tell you who is overrated, DAVID TAYLOR. He's a phenomenal wrestler, excellent character, extremely skilled and athletic, literally great. BUT everyone in PA and OH hyped him as the next Dan Gable or Cael Sanderson and he just isn't that guy. No one in college wrestling is right now. Taylor is great, Dake is undefeated at NCAA's and has two more years to be the next Cael but that's two very long years. We're just on the subject of overrated high schoolers and PA kids even Iowa kids but Taylor is an Ohio kid who was just way over rated in my honest opinion, I still don't think he'll win it next season. Don't get me wrong, he's much better than I ever dreamed of being and I love everything about the kid, I just think he's overrated.
    This was out of left field...Suffice it to say I agree with Zapp and Vais that you're pretty much out of your mind here.

    Great pick up for Penn State. Megaludis and Gulibon will be a really nice pairing at 125 and 133 in a few years.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  8. #17
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Gulibon verbals to PSU

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I can't disagree with that. When viewed as a complete package, I think DT brings more to the table, when we look back after his career I think you'll agree.
    This is one of those classic sports arguments. Great example for you: LeBron James is the most spectacular physical specimen to ever play in the NBA outside of centers. He's got all the tools, and the widest array of high-level skills of any player ever (shooting, rebounding, passing, attacking the rim, etc). Is he a better basketball player than Michael Jordan? Hell no. Because of results.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  9. #18

    Default Re: Gulibon verbals to PSU

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    This is one of those classic sports arguments. Great example for you: LeBron James is the most spectacular physical specimen to ever play in the NBA outside of centers. He's got all the tools, and the widest array of high-level skills of any player ever (shooting, rebounding, passing, attacking the rim, etc). Is he a better basketball player than Michael Jordan? Hell no. Because of results.
    While I won't get into the MJ v. Lebron argument I only have this to say: I personally guarantee that David
    Taylor will win an NCAA championship before the self-titled former King Lebron
    James.







    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •