Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 24

Thread: Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    NCAA Champ BlueBloodLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The same planet as you
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

    I like the idea of allowing the top wrestler to choose neutral (automatically giving the escape) as HS is now doing.

    Some of the stall changes are interesting. I'm curious if the bottom wrestler is facing the edge of the circle, kicks out but one foot goes out of bounds, is that going to be stalling even when he had nowhere else to go?

    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...+escape+clause

  2. #2

    Default Re: Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodLion View Post
    I like the idea of allowing the top wrestler to choose neutral (automatically giving the escape) as HS is now doing.

    Some of the stall changes are interesting. I'm curious if the bottom wrestler is facing the edge of the circle, kicks out but one foot goes out of bounds, is that going to be stalling even when he had nowhere else to go?

    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...+escape+clause
    I like the those suggestions.

    To answer your question, yes. It's fleeing the mat. Always has been, just has not been called. That wrestler needs to find a different way of defending himself without leaving the mat. I get sick when I see wrestlers try to kick out of bounds when the ref is just about ready to award the takedown. If not two for a TD the guy should get one for stalling.

    The suggestion about stalling being called when a wrestler takes a step backward is my favorite. Dennis would've beat Oliver by fifteen points two years ago instead of losing by a TD with five seconds left.

    They can make all these rule changes, but if the refs don't follow through with them it really won't matter. Bring back Mike Allen of ten years ago. That guy knew how to call a match.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  3. #3

    Default Re: Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

    I'm interested most in seeing what they do with the injury time outs. Seems like they're trying to eliminate lung time outs, but good luck with that.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

    So one step backward off the start is stalling, at least that is how I read it. But what about a guy like Jordan Burroughs, who is arguably the most "offensive" wrestler from the feet, yet who also relies on said backward steps in order to create the space needed to shoot the double?

    I think the refs are going to have to use some judgment on this rule, but I think the rest of them look pretty good.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

    In my opinion any time you deliberately go out of bounds it should be called "fleeing the mat". A defensive wrestler should need to make every effort to remain in bounds while fighting off an attack- or give up a point. This would make college level wrestling a lot more exciting and matches wouldn't last 10 minutes, which would also benefit the fitter athlete.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    In my opinion any time you deliberately go out of bounds it should be called "fleeing the mat". A defensive wrestler should need to make every effort to remain in bounds while fighting off an attack- or give up a point. This would make college level wrestling a lot more exciting and matches wouldn't last 10 minutes, which would also benefit the fitter athlete.
    Are you saying you don't like the longer matches because the "fitter" athlete usually wins? I don't follow.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  7. #7

    Default Re: Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

    He's talking about matches being longer because of guys going out of bounds 78 times per match.

    Wrestlers are forced to constantly "go" for 7:00 rather than wrestling in :10 flurries for 15:00.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  8. #8

    Default Re: Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    He's talking about matches being longer because of guys going out of bounds 78 times per match.

    Wrestlers are forced to constantly "go" for 7:00 rather than wrestling in :10 flurries for 15:00.
    Then I agree with him.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  9. #9

    Default Re: Proposed rules changes for 2011-2012

    Get Rid of the Tech Fall. If you can't pin the guy you wrestle the whole match even if it is 99-2 at the end. You work towards a pin. If not, you should bet called for stalling. Same with the guy on the bottom. Laying there instead of working for an escape or reversal should be stalling.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •