Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 20

Thread: Most Unorthodox Wrestlers @ NCAA'S

  1. #10

    Default Re: Most Unorthodox Wrestlers @ NCAA'S

    And isn't he up a weight this year as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

  2. #11

    Default Re: Most Unorthodox Wrestlers @ NCAA'S

    James Fleming of Clarion
    Thorn is a SPAZ on top and bottom, fun to watch
    Though he was more straightforward in his Big Ten final, Brandvold is typically pretty unorthodox with riding and countering

  3. #12

    Default Re: Most Unorthodox Wrestlers @ NCAA'S

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachWhite View Post
    Best of luck to him. As a wrestling purist I have a hard time watching him wrestle. I can't see any situation in which he AAs. The first round match up with Dong will be interesting.
    Considering that Matt Cathell could beat any 157lber in the country in the span of three seconds (with the exception of David Taylor who annihilated him), he certainly COULD AA. Don't necessarily think it will happen, but just watch this match.

    EDIT: I just remembered: he reversed and put Bubba right on his back in the Kent St.--Arizona St dual as well.

    http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage...ell-kent-state

  4. #13

    Default Re: Most Unorthodox Wrestlers @ NCAA'S

    Quote Originally Posted by iamthesituation View Post
    Considering that Matt Cathell could beat any 157lber in the country in the span of three seconds (with the exception of David Taylor who annihilated him), he certainly COULD AA. Don't necessarily think it will happen, but just watch this match.

    EDIT: I just remembered: he reversed and put Bubba right on his back in the Kent St.--Arizona St dual as well.

    http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage...ell-kent-state
    He hasnt placed yet, perhaps this is the year he breaks through. By the way, how many times was Tony D'Alie an all american? Show me any time in Cathell's career where he has consistently beaten all american contenders. I am sorry, I really don't want to hate on the kid. He is absolutely a dangerous opponent and could upset some guys but I think a big part of his effectiveness is that he gets away with things that are borderline illegal. It is wrestling, not jiu jitsu. I am probably in the minority on this and that is fine, this is one mans personal opinion.
    Last edited by CoachWhite; 03-14-2011 at 05:01 PM.

  5. #14

    Default Re: Most Unorthodox Wrestlers @ NCAA'S

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachWhite View Post
    He hasnt placed yet, perhaps this is the year he breaks through. By the way, how many times was Tony D'Alie an all american? Show me any time in Cathell's career where he has consistently beaten all american contenders. I am sorry, I really don't want to hate on the kid. He is absolutely a dangerous opponent and could upset some guys but I think a big part of his effectiveness is that he gets away with things that are borderline illegal. It is wrestling, not jiu jitsu. I am probably in the minority on this and that is fine, this is one mans personal opinion.
    I don't think he has ever consistently beaten AA contenders. D'Allie was ranked #12 at the time of that match, and it was Cathell's first match in several months. He's just about as good as he is ranked, #15-20. That's it. I don't think he will AA. But he has more of a chance than other guys around the #15-20 range because he is so dangerous. He's the funkiest guy in wrestling right now, and his moves aren't illegal as much as unorthodox and funky.

    This is from a tournament two years ago: He opened the competition with a 17-0 victory over Matt Morgenstern of Boston University. In the second round, he dominated Gabriel Burak of Penn 12-0. In the quarterfinals he took out Frank Molinaro of Penn State 11-0. Cathell advanced to the division championship match with a 13-1 win over Seth Vernon of Oklahoma in the semifinals. In the title match, Cathell wasted little time to defeat Aaron Nestor of Rider, recording a pin 51 seconds into the match.
    Molinaro was an AA that year.

  6. #15

    Default Re: Most Unorthodox Wrestlers @ NCAA'S

    Matt Cathell is possibly the best wrestler to never win a national title.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  7. #16

    Default Re: Most Unorthodox Wrestlers @ NCAA'S

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Matt Cathell is possibly the best wrestler to never win a national title.
    Wow.

  8. #17

    Default Re: Most Unorthodox Wrestlers @ NCAA'S

    It's true that it's a possibility. Isn't there at least a 0.0001% chance that he's conning everyone betting on the 157lb NCAA champ so that he can make millions betting the 2500-1 odds that he wins the title?

  9. #18

    Default Re: Most Unorthodox Wrestlers @ NCAA'S

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    Matt Cathell is possibly the best wrestler to never win a national title.
    No way!!!
    Ed Vatch of Wisconsin should get that 'honor". Guy was 2 time Big 10 Champ and one time runner up.
    His senior year he beat Chris Campbell, beat defending champ Binek at NCAAs, but his bad knees always effected his performance at the NCAAs....never AAed let alone won Title.
    Spectacularly good wrestler thought.
    Last edited by TLV; 03-16-2011 at 06:47 AM.
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •