ACC wrestling tornament recap with qualifiers
The University of Maryland won the 2011 Atlantic Coast Conference Wrestling Championships, claiming five of the ten individual titles up for grabs at John Paul Jones Arena at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville Saturday night.
The five champs for the Terps: Jon Kohler at 141 pounds, Josh Asper at 165, 174-pounder Mike Letts, Corey Peltier at 184, and heavyweight Spencer Myers. In addition, Letts was named Outstanding Wrestler of the 2011 ACCs.
It was the third ACC title for Maryland in the past four years, and the school's 23d ACC mat championship.
The Terps took the team title with 94.5 points. In second place was Virginia Tech with 82.5 points, and three individual champs: Jarrod Garnett at 125, 133-pounder Devin Carter, and Jesse Dong at 157. Defending ACC champ Virginia came in third in the team standings without a single champ.
North Carolina State's Darrion Caldwell became only the sixth wrestler to win four ACC titles by defeating Virginia's Derek Valenti in the 149-pound finals. Caldwell won the title at that weight at the 2009 NCAA Division I championships by defeating defending champ Brent Metcalf of Iowa in a match that many historians rank as one of the top upsets in NCAA finals history.
Twenty ACC wrestlers have earned the opportunity to compete for national titles as automatic qualifiers for the 2011 NCAA championships in Philadelphia in two weeks.
125: Jarrod Garnett (VT) dec. Matt Snyder (VA), 6-4 (SV)
133: Devin Carter (VT) tech. fall Joe Spisak (VA), 19-4
141: Jon Kohler (MD) dec. Darrius Little (NCS), 3-1 (SV)
149: Darrion Caldwell (NCS) dec. Derek Valenti (VA), 6-3
157: Jesse Dong (VT) dec. Kyle John (MD), 6-3
165: Josh Asper (MD) dec. Pete Yates (VT), 9-3
174: Mike Letts (MD) dec. Chris Henrich (VA), 3-2
184: Corey Peltier (MD) dec. Diego Bencomo (DU), 3-1
197: Zac Bennett (NC) dec. Chris Penny (VT), 9-5
Hwt: Spencer Myers (MD) dec. David Marone (VT), 3-2 (TB2)
Final Team Standings
1. Maryland (94.5 points)
2. Virginia Tech (82.5)
3. Virginia (69)
4. North Carolina (37)
5. North Carolina State (34.5)
6. Duke (9)
2011 NCAA Automatic Qualifiers
* 125: Jarrod Garnett (Virginia Tech), Matt Snyder (Virginia)
* 133: Devin Carter (Virginia Tech)
* 141: Jon Kohler (Maryland), Darrius Little (NC State), Nick Nelson (Virginia)
* 149: Darrion Caldwell (NC State), Derek Valenti (Virginia)
* 157: Jesse Dong (Virginia Tech), Kyle John (Maryland), Corey Mock (North Carolina)
* 165: Josh Asper (Maryland), Pete Yates (Virginia Tech)
* 174: Chris Henrich (Virginia), Mike Letts (Maryland)
* 184: Diego Bencomo (Duke), Corey Peltier (Maryland), Jon Fausey (Virginia)
* 197: Zac Bennett (North Carolina)
* Hwt: Spencer Myers (Maryland)
Continue reading on Examiner.com: Maryland wins 2011 ACC wrestling title with 5 individual champs - National College wrestling | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/college-wres...#ixzz1FvJaReuK