Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 163 to 171 of 211
Discuss #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion at the College Wrestling within the Wrestling Talk Forums; Originally Posted by Chop You sir are why people are pumping their chest over this ...
  1. #163
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    You sir are why people are pumping their chest over this win. Maybe the white fog in the arena made it impossible to see this match. I have 1 simple question to ask of you. In your opinion was Marion stuck?
    If the rule is still 1 second or even 2 seconds, yes. It might not have been 3 seconds.

    The argument seems to be that because some PSU fans did some chest-thumping, it's ok for Iowa fans to chest-thump - which I don't buy. Let's face it - neither party was on the mat yesterday. It was Iowa's day yesterday, they wrestled better and deserved to win. But it wasn't some kind of blowout.

  2. #164
    AA Chop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Garner, IA
    Posts
    502

    Default Re: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eisenhauer View Post
    If the rule is still 1 second or even 2 seconds, yes. It might not have been 3 seconds.

    The argument seems to be that because some PSU fans did some chest-thumping, it's ok for Iowa fans to chest-thump - which I don't buy. Let's face it - neither party was on the mat yesterday. It was Iowa's day yesterday, they wrestled better and deserved to win. But it wasn't some kind of blowout.
    1st off in wrestling you must have the shoulder blades (scapulas) on the mat at the same time for a 2 count before the fall should be awarded. I have watched that match 4 times now, pausing it at that point and never see both shoulder blades on the mat at the same time. You are pulling at straws for that fall!

    2nd if you don't think this was a blowout you don't follow wrestling to close. About every prediction had Iowa scoring 10 pts at most and PSU scoring in the 20's. I will consider this a blowout in my book. PSU all but had this meet wrapped up until they actually wrestled!

  3. #165
    DBD
    DBD is offline
    Redshirt
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

    Iowa outwrestled Penn State pretty much the entire night, they were more ready physically and mentally and as such, deserved the win. I do think Marion was clearly stuck but thats the breaks. I watched the dual last night on the Big 10 network, and as much as I pretty much idolize Dan Gable because of who he is, what he stands for and what he has done for the sport, it is hard to watch a broadcast he does involving Iowa because he simply can't be unbiased. It's really not his fault but as a fan of the opposing team, I found it hard to listen.

  4. #166
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    1st off in wrestling you must have the shoulder blades (scapulas) on the mat at the same time for a 2 count before the fall should be awarded.
    You know, having actual knowledge about the NCAA wrestling rules might be a good thing to acquire before you start copping an attitude and saying "1st off". Just saying.

    First off, learn what the rule actually is. I wrote what I wrote to suggest that if the ref didn't know the rule (like you don't) that two seconds was reached. I'll leave it up to you to discover the actual time required a fall in NCAA wrestling, as well as which part(s) of the body required. Suffice it to say you have demonstrated a lack of familiarity of the rules. Which probably means you "don't follow wrestling to (sic) close" or just don't pay attention.

  5. #167
    Olympic Champ goferphan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    13,908

    Default Re: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

    I disagree, 22-13 is NOT a blow-out in my mind when 33 and 141 could have gone either way.

    You know I don't have a dog in this fight so I'm just giving you my opinion but what we saw yesterday to me was not a blow out. If you think it was a blow out then wrestle the match again today and guarantee me another victory.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

  6. #168
    AA Chop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Garner, IA
    Posts
    502

    Default Re: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eisenhauer View Post
    You know, having actual knowledge about the NCAA wrestling rules might be a good thing to acquire before you start copping an attitude and saying "1st off". Just saying.

    First off, learn what the rule actually is. I wrote what I wrote to suggest that if the ref didn't know the rule (like you don't) that two seconds was reached. I'll leave it up to you to discover the actual time required a fall in NCAA wrestling, as well as which part(s) of the body required. Suffice it to say you have demonstrated a lack of familiarity of the rules. Which probably means you "don't follow wrestling to (sic) close" or just don't pay attention.
    I admit wrong here because in High School it is 2 seconds which I am certified at. I was not aware in college it went to 1 sec. I stand corrected.


    Win by fall: The object of the entire wrestling match is to attain victory by what is known as the fall. A fall, also known as a pin, occurs when one wrestler holds any part of both of his opponent's shoulders or both of his opponent's scapulae (shoulder blades) in continuous contact with the mat for one second at the college level.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-51>[52]</SUP> The fall ends the match immediately, and the offensive wrestler who secured the fall is declared the winner. Falls (or pins) can be attained in many different ways. The most common way of securing the fall is through the various nelson holds, in particular, the half nelson. Other techniques used to secure falls are cradles, the headlock (head and arm), single or double armbars (bar arms), the "back bow" and the leg Turk, the reverse body lock, the guillotine, the leg split (also known as the banana split or spread eagle), the spladle, the figure-4 to the head, the straight body scissors, and the double grapevine (also called the Saturday night ride).

  7. #169
    AA Badcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Where am I?
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

    The fact remains that Alton DID NOT stick Marion. It doesn't matter what you see, and many times you see it reviewing the tape. If the referee don't call it, it's not a fall. period.

    I've watched it about 10 times and laugh at Marion kicking and flopping around like a mat fish. I'll bet he grew a set of gills. haw haw haw!!

  8. #170
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    I admit wrong here because in High School it is 2 seconds which I am certified at. I was not aware in college it went to 1 sec. I stand corrected.
    It's been one second since at least the 70s, if not before. So 40 years or more. It's not exactly a recent rule change.

    Btw, the wiki entry on the rule you quoted isn't precise. It's pretty close, but not completely accurate.

  9. #171
    Round of 12 dback_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    412

    Default Re: #1 Penn State v. #6 Iowa Predictions/Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    Iowa outwrestled Penn State pretty much the entire night, they were more ready physically and mentally and as such, deserved the win. I do think Marion was clearly stuck but thats the breaks. I watched the dual last night on the Big 10 network, and as much as I pretty much idolize Dan Gable because of who he is, what he stands for and what he has done for the sport, it is hard to watch a broadcast he does involving Iowa because he simply can't be unbiased. It's really not his fault but as a fan of the opposing team, I found it hard to listen.
    Where did you listen to Dan Gable at? Was there different color commentary that I missed because when I watched it Lee Kemp was with Tim Johnson......Im confused, and I actually thought that Lee did a pretty good job considering some of the duals I have listened to in the past. Lee pretty much told it like he saw it i believe. When Iowa was clearly dominating he said it, and the few times PSU was dominating he also stated that was the case too. I cant even count how many times he said that Iowa was just overmatched during 149, 157, and 174.....which they were.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast

user tags

listen to penn state wrestling

iowa penn state wrestling live blog

penn state wrestling forum

Penn State vs Iowa wrestling lineups

wrestling iowa penn state predictions

live penn state wrestling results

psu-iowa wrestling outcome

psu iowa wrestling results

who won the iowa and pen state dual

listen to penn state wrestling live

Penn state Iowa wrestling results

penn state vs iowa wrestling coveragepenn state iowa resultspenn state iowa wrestling lineupsIOWA VS PENN STATE 2011 PICKSiowa vs. penn state wrestling lineupspsu iowa wrestling live blogpenn state vs iowa wrestling 2013 predictionpenn state vs iowa wrestlinglive blog iowa penn st wrestlingpenn state vs iowa wrestling resultsruth v lofthausTom Brands post psu 2011penn state iowa wrestling predictioniowa penn state resultsiowa vs. penn state live wrestling blogpenn state iowa wrestling listeniowa v. penn state wrestling predictionsESPN IOWA VS PENN STATE WRESTLINGiowa vs penn state dual meetiowa penn state wrestling score livepenn state iowa wrestling forumpsuiowa wrestlingpsu vs iowa wrestlingpenn state vs iowa wrestling live blog

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •