You were at the biggest dual of the year bar none. You can still be happy about that, and I'm sure you are.
When AA flipped MM on his back it was literally 6 feet away from me. Any closer & I would have been the ref or wrestling in the B10!
And that was the major turning point of the match. And even if that was THE turning point but you can point to a few other things:
1) Cael thought about starting @ another weight but didn't. He said he wants starting @ 125 to be HOW THEY DO IT @ PSU basically;
2) Long didn't get a TD, with that he wins;
3) Brands was yelling @ Marion "He can't keep up with you, he can't keep up with you!" I think that could have gotten into AA's head a little. Marion is a different wrestler then Russell & AA had a chance to win it but gave up a later TD;
4) Frank could have, admittedly, gotten a Bonus Point;
5) DT couldn't turn DSJ to get NF pts that he usually gets that could have turned that Major into a TF;
6) JK got a couple good shots in but couldn't finish;
7) Ruth should have gotten bonus, (c'mon a 7 point win for him?)
8) Q looked flat;\
9) 197 just doesn't have someone where Iowa has no holes in their line up like that;
10) Cam only won 1-0 against an Unranked Iowa kid, (admittedly bigger but still) and that should tell you something either about Iowa or the psyche of the PSU team regarding Iowa.
These were my predictions way back on the 26th. That Rec Hall sure is a violent atmosphere what with all the tanned faced white haired deep pockets sitting matside like that. I'm glad we only have to go there every other year. REAL TOUGH CROWD.
125 Mcdonough MD Pataky, wbf Cashera 4-0 Iowa
133 Ramos dec Long, 7-0 Iowa
141 Marion dec Alton, 10-0 Iowa
149 Molinaro MD Ballweg, 10-4 Iowa
157 Taylor MD St. John, 10-8 Iowa
165 Janssen wbd Kemmerer, 13-8 Iowa
174 Ruth dec Lofthouse, 13-11 Iowa
184 Gambrall dec Wright, 16-11 Iowa
197 Lofthouse MD Ruggear/Ortega 20-11 Iowa
285 Wade MD Raising 20-15 Iowa or 22-15 Iowa
TAKE IT TO THE BANK!
I told you so.
I think you're missing the point here.
Each Iowa kid did his job. Each Penn St. kid failed to do his job. Think about that.
McDonough got the pin, Morgan got pinned
Ramos got the upset, Long was upset
Marion got the upset, Alton was upset
Ballweg prevented bonus, Molinaro failed to get bonus
St. John prevented the tech or fall, Taylor failed to get the tech or fall
Janssen got the win, Kemmerer failed to get the win
Lofthouse prevented bonus, Ruth failed to get bonus
Gramball got the upset, Wright was upset
Lofthouse got bonus, Ruggear gave up bonus
Rasing prevented bonus, Wade failed to get bonus
I hate Iowa and love Penn St.
But no doubt Brands did a much, much, much better job preparing his team than Cael.
Luckily for Penn St.,they should still be top 2 in NCAAs. At a tournament, the individual team vs team and coach vs coach impact means much much less. Still, even winning feels less satisfying when you lose to Iowa head to head.
EDIT: Unfortunately for Iowa, this win does not boost them in the rankings more than a place or so. Only Ramos and Gramball move up, Marion jumps in. They should still be around #6/#7
Got to give Herkey credit, those predictions were about as right as you can ever hope for. He was two team points away from being perfect, and got all the winners right.