Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 123

Thread: Andrew Long transferring to Penn State

  1. #19

    Default Re: Andrew Long transferring to Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Not really that distinct.



    So as long as Cael only takes transfers each year at weights he has holes, it's ok? Ryak Finch, come on down!


    Time and money spent by Iowa State to recruit these kids isn't a resource?


    Iowa State is on the track to recovery? They look to be on a pretty big downward cycle to my eye right now, we'll see how they recruit this year. The only eventual studs I see on the roster next year are Finch and MAYBE Gadsen.



    Looking at your screen name, I'm sure you do. In my mind, it's really not that much different. And I don't mind that any of it is happening, either, but I don't appreciate double standards.
    I do not think Cael "took" anything. Individual wrestlers choosing to transfer happens every year.

    There is a big difference between recruiting resources and scholarships...because you spend your recruiting money with no guarantees; you spend scholarship money on kids who are committed to the program.


    This whole topic is funny...it really is one kid, with some troubles, choosing to transfer to a coach he trusts. But, it is opening up some scars for Iowa and ISU people.

  2. #20
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Andrew Long transferring to Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by socal nittany View Post
    There are a several distinct differences in the VA Tech/Iowa vs PSU/Iowa St situations:

    1. The Va Tech to Iowa transfers took place all at once. Brands decided to go to Iowa and, within days afterward, so did the wrestlers. The Iowa State to PSU situation is the case of several individuals (4 total: Cyler, Luke Machiarolli, David Taylor, and now, Andrew Long) making individual decisions over an 18 month period. Admittedly, the first three decided quickly. However Taylor and Machiarolli had never enrolled in class at ISU. ...
    To add to your argument VA Tech let Billy Murphy out of his letter of intent to go to Iowa without any penalty becasue he had never enrolled at VA Tech.

  3. #21
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: Andrew Long transferring to Penn State

    Wanna know what happened last time I hip tossed a cop ?? By the time I got home from work-I was bouncing at the time and tossed a drunken reserve deputy out -there were about a dozen of Indianapolis' finest waiting for me and they beat me 1/2 to death and my bond was $250,000.00. I was released after 72 hours but I was definitely not given a second chance .
    If any of you had done this what do you think would have happened ? I was facing 1-2 for felony battery -only thing that saved me was the reserve officer was drunk and had slapped a waitress . Next time you get pulled over for a ticket jump out and kick the officer in the bag and see what happens ..

  4. #22
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Andrew Long transferring to Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    To add to your argument VA Tech let Billy Murphy out of his letter of intent to go to Iowa without any penalty becasue he had never enrolled at VA Tech.
    Actually, no they did not. Billy Murphy had to challenge his LOI, and was released from it because the person who signed it was not his legal guardian or parent. Va. Tech tried to keep him, too.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  5. #23
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: Andrew Long transferring to Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Not really that distinct.
    So as long as Cael only takes transfers each year at weights he has holes, it's ok? Ryak Finch, come on down!
    Time and money spent by Iowa State to recruit these kids isn't a resource?
    Iowa State is on the track to recovery? They look to be on a pretty big downward cycle to my eye right now, we'll see how they recruit this year. The only eventual studs I see on the roster next year are Finch and MAYBE Gadsen.
    Looking at your screen name, I'm sure you do. In my mind, it's really not that much different. And I don't mind that any of it is happening, either, but I don't appreciate double standards.


    Thank GOD I didn't have a mouthful of hot tazo chai (tea) when I read this or I would had a painful jet propelled thermal nasal douche...

  6. #24
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: Andrew Long transferring to Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Wanna know what happened last time I hip tossed a cop ?? By the time I got home from work-I was bouncing at the time and tossed a drunken reserve deputy out -there were about a dozen of Indianapolis' finest waiting for me and they beat me 1/2 to death and my bond was $250,000.00. I was released after 72 hours but I was definitely not given a second chance .
    If any of you had done this what do you think would have happened ? I was facing 1-2 for felony battery -only thing that saved me was the reserve officer was drunk and had slapped a waitress . Next time you get pulled over for a ticket jump out and kick the officer in the bag and see what happens ..
    Russ even Hunter S Thompson knew not to kick a cop in the bag...very well done on defending that waitress's honor...

  7. #25
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Andrew Long transferring to Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Thank GOD I didn't have a mouthful of hot tazo chai (tea) when I read this or I would had a painful jet propelled thermal nasal douche...
    Please, explain.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  8. #26
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: Andrew Long transferring to Penn State

    We have had this Iowa/VT vs PSI/ISU debate more then once on several threads. I think we are always gonna just disagree on it.

    As far as Long goes, KJ has now said he gave him ample opportunity to get back in the good graces of the ISU community. Long said he got to a point where he realized that the best thing for him was to start completely over somewhere else. No matter where Cael was I think that Long probably would have made that choice to go to where the guy who recruited him was.

    For what it is worth, Jared Platt tried to make it back & that would have filled a big hole for PSU @ 97. JP didn't cut it academically & now he is preparing in NJ to go pro in MMA. On the PSU boards there has already been posters asking "Do we really want this guy?" So regardless of what anyone else thinks, there are some standards here & if Long doesn't meet them I will bet that his stay in HV will be very short.

    To his credit KJ says he continues to support Andrew though he is disappointed in his decision.

  9. #27
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Andrew Long transferring to Penn State

    You still haven't explained how I am holding a double standard. I have already made it clear that I have zero, zilch, nada, NO problems with Andrew Long transferring, or Dave Taylor, or Luke Macchiroli (I know I misspelled this) or Cyler Sanderson. I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy of people who criticized and marginalized Iowa and are, at best, keeping mum about Cael's very similar situation.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •