Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 81

Thread: FloWrestling's 10 Best & 10 Worst (hot seat) College Coaches

  1. #10

    Default Re: FloWrestling's 10 Best & 10 Worst (hot seat) College Coaches

    I'm calling BS on the whole article.
    http://www.youtube.com/TonyAvallone
    Dad of Karissa 155lb Varsity College Freshman

  2. #11
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: FloWrestling's 10 Best & 10 Worst (hot seat) College Coaches

    If wrestling wants to be considered a big time college sport this is part of the baggage that goes with it. No one would blink at an article about college Football coaches that are on the "hot seat".
    I do think the thread title of "worst" coaches is harsh, but the article title on the Flo site is "Highest Ranked Coaches and Coaches in Must Win Situations".

    I think the writer was fair and it was an interesting article. I can't disagree with any of his picks.

  3. #12

    Default Re: FloWrestling's 10 Best & 10 Worst (hot seat) College Coaches

    All this probably did was make 10 coaches decide they wouldn't be interviewed by Flowrestling.

  4. #13

    Default Re: FloWrestling's 10 Best & 10 Worst (hot seat) College Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    If wrestling wants to be considered a big time college sport this is part of the baggage that goes with it. No one would blink at an article about college Football coaches that are on the "hot seat".
    I do think the thread title of "worst" coaches is harsh, but the article title on the Flo site is "Highest Ranked Coaches and Coaches in Must Win Situations".

    I think the writer was fair and it was an interesting article. I can't disagree with any of his picks.
    So, your vote is to just deal with it and go with the flo then, huh?
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  5. #14

    Default Re: FloWrestling's 10 Best & 10 Worst (hot seat) College Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    If wrestling wants to be considered a big time college sport this is part of the baggage that goes with it. No one would blink at an article about college Football coaches that are on the "hot seat".
    I do think the thread title of "worst" coaches is harsh, but the article title on the Flo site is "Highest Ranked Coaches and Coaches in Must Win Situations".

    I think the writer was fair and it was an interesting article. I can't disagree with any of his picks.
    I agree that football would definitely have something like this. The difference between Football and wrestling is that (besides the money) they have a much larger pool to draw from. These Universities aren't necessarily sitting on a guy like Spates or Penrith because they like them - they keep them because they are better than what else is available. In football, because of the sheer number of participants, you have solid replacement coaches. When a guy like Terry Brands would rather be an assistant at Iowa than a Head coach at the OTC you have a severe under-staffing problem.

  6. #15
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: FloWrestling's 10 Best & 10 Worst (hot seat) College Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    I agree that football would definitely have something like this. The difference between Football and wrestling is that (besides the money) they have a much larger pool to draw from. These Universities aren't necessarily sitting on a guy like Spates or Penrith because they like them - they keep them because they are better than what else is available. In football, because of the sheer number of participants, you have solid replacement coaches. When a guy like Terry Brands would rather be an assistant at Iowa than a Head coach at the OTC you have a severe under-staffing problem.

    Are you saying that there are not enough qualified people to fill DI coaching slots... I disagree. They are plenty of good wrestler that may have become great coaches that leave the sport because there are so few prospects in coaching wrestling.

  7. #16
    Redshirt
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Newton, Massachusetts
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: FloWrestling's 10 Best & 10 Worst (hot seat) College Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    If wrestling wants to be considered a big time college sport this is part of the baggage that goes with it. No one would blink at an article about college Football coaches that are on the "hot seat".
    I do think the thread title of "worst" coaches is harsh, but the article title on the Flo site is "Highest Ranked Coaches and Coaches in Must Win Situations".

    I think the writer was fair and it was an interesting article. I can't disagree with any of his picks.
    Having "baggage" does not elevate a sport to the big time. Baggage is what comes from having mass participation--you get all the good and the bad and highs and lows when you attract a massive audience. IMO, this is almost like saying trolling elevated the internet to popularity--trolling is something that comes when everybody has a shot, but it doesn't necessarily help. i don't think its necessary to have these types of articles to be considered a popular sport.

    If no one would blink at this type of article in football, i think that's because people have just gotten used to and accept the thing. thats not necessarily the right thing to do, but its pointless to fight a battle you can't win.

  8. #17

    Default Re: FloWrestling's 10 Best & 10 Worst (hot seat) College Coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Are you saying that there are not enough qualified people to fill DI coaching slots... I disagree. They are plenty of good wrestler that may have become great coaches that leave the sport because there are so few prospects in coaching wrestling.
    I'll agree with that. I think Matt Demaray, Cary Kolat, and many others would have made excellent college coaches, however, they did not express the interest necessary to make the positions at these colleges available (plus they went on to be successful in other areas) Then you have guys like Marty Morgan and Terry Steiner that decide to stay at a successful school rather than building up and competing from a new school for one reason or another.

    Calling out college coaches who may or may not be as successful as these other programs is not the best way to create a winning situation. The qualified assistant coaches that are staying in a dominate program need to bring their winning ways to other Universities *and stay there* if we want wrestling at the collegiate level to grow.

    The title on Flo is simply a more diplomatic way of calling them the 'worst'. Any way you slice it, if they "must win" in order to keep their job, they are considered [by the author(s) of the article] to be the 10 worst.
    Last edited by Schlottke; 11-13-2008 at 06:59 PM.

  9. #18

    Default Re: FloWrestling's 10 Best & 10 Worst (hot seat) College Coaches

    putting the two list together in the same article you cannot help but think 10 best and 10 worst.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton




Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •