Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Recruiting ?- grey shirt vs red shirt

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Electric!! Recruiting ?- grey shirt vs red shirt

    I basically understand the difference, but would you say one would be better than the other in the sport of wrestling?

    Second part, In regards to a juco recuit (would enter as a jr.), do you think a coach would most likely frown upon redshirting him? Even if the recruit wanted this. I noticed most guys in juco redshirt as sophomores before going D1.

  2. #2
    Olympic Champ RYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,376

    Default Re: Recruiting ?- grey shirt vs red shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by LND1955 View Post
    I basically understand the difference, but would you say one would be better than the other in the sport of wrestling?

    Second part, In regards to a juco recuit (would enter as a jr.), do you think a coach would most likely frown upon redshirting him? Even if the recruit wanted this. I noticed most guys in juco redshirt as sophomores before going D1.
    Depends on the underlying reason the coach recruited the wrestler. If it is to immediately fill a void, yea the coach would be reluctant. If you've taken three years to complete two JUCO years, then improbable since it will leave you with only year of DI eligibility remaining. If the line-up is solid for the intended red shirt year, he likely would be open to it. If you are really that good and your presence will contribute to a title run in the following year he may be open to it, but also may want you to have a year of D! competition under your belt too.

    The volume of scholarship money will influence his decision. Carrying you for 3 years instead of two will likely be tied to your wrestling value.

    Grey shirts for wrestling have limited value since they are initiated in the second term, cutting the eligibility year in half. Somewhere you'll have to sit during the 1st term. For someone cutting a ton of weight, that could helpful. Grey shirting only has real value for fall sports, unless of course the NCAA opts to make wrestling a second term sport as some are proposing.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Recruiting ?- grey shirt vs red shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Depends on the underlying reason the coach recruited the wrestler. If it is to immediately fill a void, yea the coach would be reluctant. If you've taken three years to complete two JUCO years, then improbable since it will leave you with only year of DI eligibility remaining. If the line-up is solid for the intended red shirt year, he likely would be open to it. If you are really that good and your presence will contribute to a title run in the following year he may be open to it, but also may want you to have a year of D! competition under your belt too.

    The volume of scholarship money will influence his decision. Carrying you for 3 years instead of two will likely be tied to your wrestling value.

    Grey shirts for wrestling have limited value since they are initiated in the second term, cutting the eligibility year in half. Somewhere you'll have to sit during the 1st term. For someone cutting a ton of weight, that could helpful. Grey shirting only has real value for fall sports, unless of course the NCAA opts to make wrestling a second term sport as some are proposing.
    Thanks man. And damn good point about the volume of scholarship money.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recruiting ?- grey shirt vs red shirt

    I'm a bit confused about the grey shirt and 2nd term Ryou, can you elaborate? From what I understand, grey shirting starts your NCAA clock late because you don't take a full classload your first year. What does that have to do with the 2nd term?

  5. #5
    Olympic Champ RYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,376

    Default Re: Recruiting ?- grey shirt vs red shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    I'm a bit confused about the grey shirt and 2nd term Ryou, can you elaborate? From what I understand, grey shirting starts your NCAA clock late because you don't take a full classload your first year. What does that have to do with the 2nd term?
    If you have attended a JUCO full time, even for only one term, and that school offers intercollegiate athletics, your Division I clock has started and taking something other than a full time course load at any time thereafter does not stop/delay the eligibility clock.

    Enrolling as a part time student only benefits your eligibility clock up until you enroll full time (since he will be transferring as a junior I presume he has taken a school defined full time course load at some point in the past). If the school you attend, JUCO, Div I or other, defines full time as 12 credit hours, you can take 11 credits in the first term, 11 more in the 2nd term and retain your 5 year eligibility. The day you step into the classroom with what the school defines as a full time load, your DI clock has started, no matter how many credit hours you take in the future and no matter where you have taken the courses.

    The exception to the full time rule lies in athletic participation. Say your JUCO allows you to compete in wrestling while only taking 6 credit hours, because of your participation in the sport, your DI 5 year clock has started.

    Like I said before, staving off full time enrollment for wrestling really has no benefit at the moment because the season is split over two terms. Taking a part time load in the fall pushed the clock to the start of winter term in January, but what good is it since your clock will end in December and you can't compete in the year end tournament.

    Div I scholarship football players are really the only ones that can benefit from grey shirting and solely because it allows them to participate in one additional spring practice. Football coaches use the grey shirt as a means of managing their scholarship allotment and enables them to recruit over 25 players in a single year when only 25 scholarships are allowed to be doled out.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Recruiting ?- grey shirt vs red shirt

    OK, I understand what you are talking about now but I'm thinking of something different. You are talking about greyshirt being a part-time student while still competing on the school wrestling team. Or being part time 1st semester, while full time 2nd semester - also different than what I want thinking of.

    For wrestling purposes, I understood "greyshirt" as someone who takes part time classes and DOESNT compete on their school's wrestling team. Or simply doesn't go to a school with wrestling (or school at all) their first year out of high school to get more training and grow.

    Recent examples are are Cornell wrestlers - Lewnes (who I think went to Colorado Springs) or Grey (wrestled for the Finger Lakes Club) or Manotti (whose exact details escape me), they didn't "redshirt" per se at their school but instead took a year with light/no classload and went around competing unattached. Ditto with people like Blair postgrads, the 149/157 pounder who went to Northwestern did something like this. Do I have the wrong term here?

    I realize it looks like I'm only talking about "ivy redshirts" but it doesn't only apply to Cornell. I think Ryan Davis did something similar, that or my brain is breaking down right now.

  7. #7
    Olympic Champ RYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,376

    Default Re: Recruiting ?- grey shirt vs red shirt

    OK, I understand what you are talking about now but I'm thinking of something different. You are talking about greyshirt being a part-time student while still competing on the school wrestling team. Or being part time 1st semester, while full time 2nd semester - also different than what I want thinking of.

    No you missed it. A grey shirt does not compete at all. S/he may go to school part time or not attend classes at all until the 2nd term. In the 2nd term you begin full time classes and if available you're on scholarship. I was just saying that some JUCOs allow a part time student to compete in athletics. If you do compete as a part timer, it counts toward Div I eligibility, even if you are taking classes part time.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •