Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 LastLast
Results 127 to 135 of 161

Thread: 2008/2009 Preseason All American Predictions

  1. #127

    Default Re: 2008/2009 Preseason All American Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    Given. But you weren't a 190-220 pound elite athlete who'd already been training for years, plus you were still maturing naturally. I guess in Erekson/Beatty's case the numbers are certainly possible, but a little skepticism isn't totally misplaced either.
    I trained my ass off year round. I also my senior year, I also cut to 138 and I was not fat at all. I sure was maturing naturally but, spending about 4 hours a day at the gym didn't hurt either. These guys will be tested and I'm sure they will pass with flying colors. Spending time with Chris Doyle, I'm sure he knows how to add pounds on. Look how many NFL offensive lineman and Defensive lineman he has trained and none of those guys started out a 300 pounds.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton




  2. #128

    Default Re: 2008/2009 Preseason All American Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    Just to be clear - a change in diet/training? Are you saying that at 235 pounds Erekson wasn't already getting enough protein?
    I'm talking about calories...if Erekson and Beatty started eating 5,000-6,000 calories a day and went on a weight lifting plan specifically tailored to help them pack on size them putting on 15-20 pounds of muscle is easily feasible.

    I kind of like the "Iowa guys do steroids" excuse that you seem to be hinting around. I may even use it if/when they beat Minnesota this year.

  3. #129

    Default Re: 2008/2009 Preseason All American Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    I'm talking about calories...if Erekson and Beatty started eating 5,000-6,000 calories a day and went on a weight lifting plan specifically tailored to help them pack on size them putting on 15-20 pounds of muscle is easily feasible.

    I kind of like the "Iowa guys do steroids" excuse that you seem to be hinting around. I may even use it if/when they beat Minnesota this year.
    I don't want to belabor the point - but calories that are not burned for energy or converted to muscle fiber (see my previous post) are stored as fat - not muscle. The reason steroids work is they increase the testosterone type hormones thus stimulating more protein-processing enzymes thereby allowing more protein to be converted to muscle. Maybe Erekson/Beatty are fatter now than before. Nonetheless, I was just intrigued that everytime a wrestler "bulks up," it is simply accepted by everyone as perfectly normal. I was just wondering if we don't have our heads in the sand, so to speak. Steroids are still in the news regularly and it seems as if most of us feel our sport is completely immune to their temptations.

  4. #130

    Default Re: 2008/2009 Preseason All American Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    I don't want to belabor the point - but calories that are not burned for energy or converted to muscle fiber (see my previous post) are stored as fat - not muscle. The reason steroids work is they increase the testosterone type hormones thus stimulating more protein-processing enzymes thereby allowing more protein to be converted to muscle. Maybe Erekson/Beatty are fatter now than before. Nonetheless, I was just intrigued that everytime a wrestler "bulks up," it is simply accepted by everyone as perfectly normal. I was just wondering if we don't have our heads in the sand, so to speak. Steroids are still in the news regularly and it seems as if most of us feel our sport is completely immune to their temptations.
    We got it- You think Beatty and Erekson are taking roids. :banghead:
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton




  5. #131

    Default Re: 2008/2009 Preseason All American Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    We got it- You think Beatty and Erekson are taking roids. :banghead:
    No. But I get it - despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, nobody is willing to admit that "taking roids" is a suitable topic for discussion. A little defensive, aren't you?

  6. #132
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: 2008/2009 Preseason All American Predictions

    Wait til you see Everhart from IU-he's put on 30 pounds according to the IU web page -looks more like 40 and he is chiseled -you have to look at that skeptically . I don't know how many of you remember Lenny dykstra and how much his body changed in 6 months -there was no way that was natural and , big surprise , i recently read an article where Tony Mandarich admitted to using steroids -DUH-No one gains 30-40 pounds of lean body mass in a year without an extra incentive -usually steroids .
    When a college or high school athletes best friend is a vet something is wrong .

  7. #133

    Default Re: 2008/2009 Preseason All American Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    No. But I get it - despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, nobody is willing to admit that "taking roids" is a suitable topic for discussion. A little defensive, aren't you?
    Not defensive it just seems to me you just didn't want to come out and make the accusation. I just did it for you. I'm sure they will be tested and I have no doubts they are clean.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton




  8. #134

    Default Re: 2008/2009 Preseason All American Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Wait til you see Everhart from IU-he's put on 30 pounds according to the IU web page -looks more like 40 and he is chiseled -you have to look at that skeptically . I don't know how many of you remember Lenny dykstra and how much his body changed in 6 months -there was no way that was natural and , big surprise , i recently read an article where Tony Mandarich admitted to using steroids -DUH-No one gains 30-40 pounds of lean body mass in a year without an extra incentive -usually steroids .
    When a college or high school athletes best friend is a vet something is wrong .
    30-40 pounds is a lot. 10-15 is doable. I not saying these guys are going to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton




  9. #135

    Default Re: 2008/2009 Preseason All American Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltz View Post
    Not defensive it just seems to me you just didn't want to come out and make the accusation. I just did it for you. I'm sure they will be tested and I have no doubts they are clean.
    Hes convinced me.

    All Iowa wrestlers do steroids.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •