Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 32

Thread: How would I be able to wrestle at D2 level?

  1. #1

    Electric!! How would I be able to wrestle at D2 level?

    Just started varsity last year as a junior. My record was alright, but nothing magnificent. However, I have been training in the off-season, wrestling 4 times a week, practicing moves at home, staying in shape, and lifting weights. Sometime during all of this, I decided I have a desire to wrestle in college. 'Paying attention to my senior year first, but around this time, I am supposed to find out which college to attend.

    Honestly, I am not very well-learned on the subject of D1, D2, D3. What is the difference between the three? Would I be able to get into D1 or D2 if I did good this upcoming season? What is the process? Do you have to be recruited, or do you just go to try-outs while attending the college?

    Please fill me in on the details. Thanks a bunch in advance.

  2. #2
    World Champ
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: How would I be able to wrestle at D2 level?

    Here's a couple of links. First, here is a list of all colleges that offer wrestling from the National Wrestling Coaches association:
    http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcawebsit...towrestle.aspx
    Next, here is a link from the NCAA describing the differences between the divisions:
    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=418

    Many fans feel that the level of overall talent between the divisions is substantial. Division III has no athletic scholarships. The level of talent between high school and D1 college is huge.

    Keep up the hard work, and good luck in your Senior season.

  3. #3

    Default Re: How would I be able to wrestle at D2 level?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ego_Fortis View Post
    Just started varsity last year as a junior. My record was alright, but nothing magnificent. However, I have been training in the off-season, wrestling 4 times a week, practicing moves at home, staying in shape, and lifting weights. Sometime during all of this, I decided I have a desire to wrestle in college. 'Paying attention to my senior year first, but around this time, I am supposed to find out which college to attend.

    Honestly, I am not very well-learned on the subject of D1, D2, D3. What is the difference between the three? Would I be able to get into D1 or D2 if I did good this upcoming season? What is the process? Do you have to be recruited, or do you just go to try-outs while attending the college?

    Please fill me in on the details. Thanks a bunch in advance.
    Man we are in the same exact boat bro!
    Good luck to you, and I hope we both make it into college wrestling!
    From what I hear D1 has amazing schools, D2 are not as good but still wrestle some D1, D3 I'm not too sure about it but even if we got into D3 we can always move up the ladder.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How would I be able to wrestle at D2 level?

    Quote Originally Posted by grapplefan View Post
    Here's a couple of links. First, here is a list of all colleges that offer wrestling from the National Wrestling Coaches association:

    Next, here is a link from the NCAA describing the differences between the divisions:


    Many fans feel that the level of overall talent between the divisions is substantial. Division III has no athletic scholarships. The level of talent between high school and D1 college is huge.

    Keep up the hard work, and good luck in your Senior season.
    Thank you. Both sources are very informative. I understand the D1 college and high school level of talent is far apart. Yes, I intend to keep up the hard work. Thank you again and once more for the good luck.


    Quote Originally Posted by MMA_Brad View Post
    Man we are in the same exact boat bro!
    Good luck to you, and I hope we both make it into college wrestling!
    From what I hear D1 has amazing schools, D2 are not as good but still wrestle some D1, D3 I'm not too sure about it but even if we got into D3 we can always move up the ladder.
    Good luck to you as well! The person quoted above was very informative and I hope the info helped clear some things up for you as it did for me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How would I be able to wrestle at D2 level?

    College is hard even without participation in other activities. Wrestling is a very difficult sport in college, no matter what level you are at. It can be done if you work at it. College coachs aren't very understanding about injuries and sickness so be ready to go out there, hurt or not. It has been done before.
    A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. A straw man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is, it may succeed in persuading people) but it carries little or no real evidential weight, because the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How would I be able to wrestle at D2 level?

    Also make sure to register with the NCAA Clearinghouse. The NCAA link will have information. My daughter's high school also held informational sessions on the Clearinghouse, etc. Also make sure your parents complete the FAFSA forms when they are due.
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

  7. #7

    Default Re: How would I be able to wrestle at D2 level?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmiille View Post
    College is hard even without participation in other activities. Wrestling is a very difficult sport in college, no matter what level you are at. It can be done if you work at it. College coachs aren't very understanding about injuries and sickness so be ready to go out there, hurt or not. It has been done before.
    Thanks for the warning, I am up for and beyond it. But I certainly believe what you are saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingTerp View Post
    Also make sure to register with the NCAA Clearinghouse. The NCAA link will have information. My daughter's high school also held informational sessions on the Clearinghouse, etc. Also make sure your parents complete the FAFSA forms when they are due.
    Never heard of it, therefore I will have to look it up on the website. Thanks for the information and I will look further into the FAFSA forms.


    Thanks, you two.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How would I be able to wrestle at D2 level?

    You have to be registered with the Clearinghouse if you want to compete in the NCAA as a freshman. Not 100% if that applies to Div III.

    You also have to have the FAFSA forms filled out to get any kind of merit or need-based scholarship. I think we had to have them completed by about January of our daughter's senior year this year.
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!?

  9. #9
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: How would I be able to wrestle at D2 level?

    Div 2 is no joke -as you will soon find out -all the guys who couldn't get a ride for whatever reason usually stay close to home and wrestle Div 2 -e-mail the coach and tell him you are interested and he will help you get through the process .Even if it is only sending you the required forms -that saves you a ton of leg work-if you are attending a larger school -such as IU , I suggest just wrestling intramurals -very competitive and you will be facing state champions and people like me -who could not maintain an academic ride while training for the big 10 .
    My last match at IU i left a trail of vomit across assembly Hall as I lost in 3 OT's against a freshman -kinda epitomizes my wrestling career .

Tags for this Thread

best wrestling colleges d2, can i wrestle in college based on my senior year record, can you do wrestling in college without in high school, can you still wrestle in college, d1 schools providing wrestling scholarships, d1wrestling vs d2, d2 college wresling schools in wisconsin, d2 college wrestling, d2 college wrestling forum, d2 vs d1 wrestling, d2 wresling schools that offer scholarships, d2 wrestling, d2 wrestling colleges, d2 wrestling scholarships, d2 wrestling schools, difference between divisions in college wrestling, good d2 wrestling schools, gpa needed to wrestle in d2 college, how difficult is it to wrestle and play lacrosse at cornell, how good do you have to be to wrestle in college, how good do you need to be to wrestle d1, how good to you have to be to wrestle in college, how hard is collegewrestling, how hard is d2 wrestling, how hard is it to get into college wrestling, how hard is it to get into d2 college wrestling, how hard is it to get into wrestling in college, how hard is it to wrestle d3, how hard is it to wrestle for a college, how hard is it to wrestle in college, how hard is it to wrestle in d2, how to be able to wrestle in college, how to wrestle in college, im not in college but want to wrestle, is d2 wrestling hard, level, list d2 wrestling schools, list of d2 colleges that offer wrestling, list of d2 wrestling colleges, off season college wrestling, requirements to wrestle at a d3 school, standards to wrestle in d3 colleges, which schools still have wrestling scholarships available, wrestle, wrestling can you get at a national level in 2 years

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •