N0. 25 RUTGERS (16-4, 6-1 EIWA) at the 2013 NCAA ChampionshipsThursday, March 21Live Broadcasts:
Session I - 11 a.m. • Session II - 6:30 p.m.Friday, March 22
Session III - 10 a.m. • Session IV - 6 p.m.Saturday March 23
Session V - 10 a.m. • Session VI - 7 p.m.Wells Fargo Arena • Des Moines, Iowa
Sessions I, II - ESPN3
Session III - ESPNU/ESPN3
Sessions IV, V - ESPNU
Finals – ESPN
• The Rutgers wrestling team qualified seven wrestlers for the 2013 NCAA Championships in Des Moines, Iowa, from March 21-23, 2013.
• Sixth-year head coach Scott Goodale will lead 133-Vinnie Dellefave (Toms River, N.J.), 141-Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.), 157-Scott Winston (Jackson, N.J.), 165-Nick Visicaro (Long Branch, N.J.), 174-Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.), 184-Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.) and HWT-Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.).
• Melde (sixth), Winston (fifth), Visicaro (fifth), Zannetti (fourth) and Rinaldi (fourth) all qualified by earning automatic bids at the EIWA Championships (March 8-9). Dellefave and Smith earned at-large bids.
• Winston and Rinaldi are the two Scarlet Knights who have made an appearance at the NCAA Championships all four years of their careers. Dellefave, Visicaro and Smith earned their first trips, Zannetti will make his second-consecutive appearance and Melde will participate for the third time.
• Rutgers held the No. 25 spot in the USA Today/NWCA/AWN Division I Coaches Poll (Feb. 26).
• RU is led in victories by Zannetti, Rinaldi and Smith, who have each posted 27 this season. Rinaldi holds a team-best 7-6 record this season vs. 2013 NCAA qualifiers.
• Goodale has led 32 grapplers to the NCAA Championships. He has placed 34 wrestlers on the award stand at the EIWA Championships.
• Rinaldi ranks fifth all-time in wins at RU with 107. Winston is tied for eighth with 104. Melde needs two wins to total 100 for his career.
• Dellefave and Smith earned EIWA Wrestler of the Week honors on Feb. 11 after each notching a victory over a ranked Bloomsburg opponent on Friday, Feb. 8.
Rutgers and the NCAA Championships
• The NCAA Championships features a 33-wrestler bracket at all 10 weights. Seeds are awarded to the top 12 individuals, as decided by the NCAA Division I Wrestling Selection Committee. All seven Scarlet Knights are set to compete as unseeded wrestlers in this season’s tournament.
• Six defending national champions return to defend their titles from 2012. At 125 pounds, Iowa’s Matt McDonough looks to defend his title, while Ohio State’s 133-pounder Logan Stieber will look to do the same. The 165-pound weight class features two defending national champions. Penn State’s David Taylor won the weight class last year, but three-time NCAA champion Kyle Dake of Cornell won at 157 pounds last season and will look to win his fourth title in as many different weight classes. At 184 pounds, No. 1 seed Ed Ruth of Penn State is a defending national champion, winning last season’s title at 174 pounds and bumping up a class for the 2012-13 season. Reigning 184 pound champion Steve Bosak of Cornell also looks to defend his title.
• Two grapplers return after winning titles in 2011. Oklahoma State’s Jordan Oliver won at 133 pounds two seasons ago and will look to be victorious at 149 pounds this season. In 2011, Penn State’s Quentin Wright stood on top of the podium at 184 pounds and goes for a title at 197 pounds at the 2013 NCAA Championships.
RU Weight-by-Weight Breakdown
• At 133 pounds, Dellefave meets Penn State’s 12th-seeded Jordan Conaway, who sports a 16-8 record. Dellefave dropped a 6-1 decision to Conaway at the RAC on Feb. 24. He could potentially face fifth-seeded Christopher Dardanes (Minnesota), who holds a 17-6 record, in round two.
• At 141 pounds, Melde opens with Dean Pavlou of Chattanooga. Melde pinned Pavlou in 1:17 on Dec. 16. The second round holds a possible meeting with No. 3 Michael Mangrum of Oregon State, who is 36-4 this year.
• Winston takes on Andy McCulley of Wyoming at 157 pounds, who holds a 28-8 record, in the opening round. The four-time qualifier could meet top-seeded Jason Welch of Northwestern in the second round, who has lost just one bout (30-1) in 2012-13.
• The 165-pound opening bout for Visicaro features No. 3 seed Peter Yates of Virginia Tech, who is 30-1 this year. Should he win, he would face either Mark Martin (Ohio State) or Michael Moreno (Iowa State). Visicaro fell by decision to Moreno, 11-5, on Jan. 11.
• Zannetti has Ohio State’s eight-seed 174-pounder Nick Heflin, who is 15-5 on the year. If he advances, he could potentially face No. 9 Nathaniel Brown of Lehigh, who he beat 5-3 at home on Jan. 18.
• At 184 pounds, Rinaldi meets Ohio State’s Cody Magrum in the opening round, who is 16-7 this season. A Rinaldi win could pit him against No. 3 seed Robert Hamlin of Lehigh. Rinaldi dropped a close 4-2 decision to Hamlin on Jan. 18.
• HWT Smith drew Ernest James of Edinboro in the initial round, who has composed a 22-12 record thus far. A potential second-round matchup could be against fourth-seeded Chad Hanke (Oregon State), who is 32-3 this season.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers wrestling, follow the program on Twitter (@RUWrestling). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with*www.ScarletKnights.com.*