Rutgers Wrestling Hits the Road to Face Drexel
RUTGERS (15-3, 6-1 EIWA) at Drexel (8-10, 3-3 CAA)
Dual No. 19: at Drexel (8-10, 3-3 CAA)
Friday, Feb. 15 • 7 p.m. ET
Philadelphia, Pa. • Daskalakis Athletic Center
Video: Live stream via Dragons TV at www.DrexelDragons.com
• The Rutgers wrestling team (15-3, 6-1 EIWA) hits the road for the final time this season, traveling to Philadelphia, Pa., to take on Drexel on Feb. 15 at 7 p.m.
• The Scarlet Knights are coming off a thrilling 18-16 win over No. 14 Bloomsburg in College Ave. Gym.
• In his sixth season leading the Scarlet Knights, head coach Scott Goodale is looking for his 100th win with a 99-32-1 dual record as Rutgers’ mat leader.
• Rutgers is the top “receiving votes” team in this week’s USA Today/NWCA/AWN Division I Coaches Poll with 90 votes.
• The Scarlet Knights currently feature five individuals in the national rankings: 133-pounder Vincent Dellefave (Toms River, N.J.), 141-pounder Trevor Melde (Hewitt, N.J.), 174-pounder Greg Zannetti (Edison, N.J.) 184-pounder Dan Rinaldi (Lodi, N.J.), and HWT Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.).
• Rinaldi has 103 career wins, good for a tie for ninth on the program’s all-time list.
• Smith eads RU with 16 dual wins. Dellefave and Rinaldi follow with 15 each.
• Dellefave and Smith earned EIWA Wrestler of the Week honors on Feb. 11 after each notching a victory over a ranked Bloomsburg opponent on Friday, Feb. 8.
• Dellefave has won nine-consecutive bouts, dating back to a win on Jan. 6 against ASU.
• Rutgers’ lineup features three seniors who have earned qualification for the NCAA Championships in all three seasons of their career. Mason, Winston and Rinaldi have not missed a national tournament.
Rutgers and the Drexel Dragons
• The Rutgers wrestling team holds a 12-11 all-time record against the Dragons, but is 5-1 under Goodale.
• The Scarlet Knights last faced the Dragons in the final match of 2012, downing Drexel 24-9 on Feb. 16. Rutgers has won three-straight matches in the series and five out of the last six contests.
• The Dragons hold a 8-10 overall record, including a 3-3 record in the CAA. The squad is coming off a 26-12 loss to Rider on Feb. 10. Rutgers has wrestled six common opponents as Drexel, most recently Bloomsburg, who the Dragons fell to, 33-6, on Nov. 24, 2012.
• Two Drexel wrestlers are ranked in the most recent AWN Poll. 197-pound junior Brandon Palik leads the squad at No. 19. Senior 141-pounder Frank Cimato comes in at No. 20 in the nation.
Rutgers Defeats No. 14 Bloomsburg********
• In comeback fashion, the Rutgers wrestling team downed No. 14 Bloomsburg, 18-16, inside College Ave. Gym on Feb. 8. Under the guidance of Goodale, the Scarlet Knights won six of the 10 contested bouts. Redshirt HWT Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.) and redshirt junior 133-pounder Vincent Dellefave (Toms River, N.J.) each picked up wins over ranked opponents, with Smith defeating the No. 16 grappler and Dellefave beating the 11th-ranked wrestler in the nation.
• Rutgers improved to 15-3 on the season and Bloomsburg moved to 14-3. The Scarlet Knights are now 5-7 all-time against the Huskies, picking up their first win over Bloomsburg since RU came out on top on Feb. 26, 2003.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers wrestling, follow the program on Twitter (@RUWrestling). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with*www.ScarletKnights.com.